Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

10 bolt front differential or 3/4 ton differential? HELP?????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by blazindorito, Jan 22, 2004.

1. blazindorito

blazindorito 1/2 ton status

I currently have an 83 blazer w/ a 10 bolt front diff, the rear has a 3/4 ton 8 lug. I was wondering if I should stay with my 10 bolt and just change the shafts, hubs, etc... to make it 8 lug in the front like the rear or should I get a 3/4 ton front differential from a 1990 suburban for 150. that my friend has which is in good condition and matches the rear gears. The 3/4 ton is already 8 lug so I would just bolt this one on. What do you guys think, let me know. Is the 3/4 diff. better than the 10 bolt. What should I do? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Both are 10 bolts. Neither is really any better than the other, other than that the 90 one is newer and has 30 spline axles instead of 28.

I personally would do whatever it takes to make sure the axle you're getting has the correct gear ratio. That would most likely mean getting the 3/4 ton axle complete in your case. $150 for that axle is a pretty decent deal, IF it has the gears you want.

To change your current axle to 8 lug you don't need shafts or lockout hubs or even brake calipers. Just caliper backing platess and hub/rotor assemblies.

3. blazindorito

blazindorito 1/2 ton status

Is that all I would need to do?

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

If you dont want to deal with anything then I would bolt in the 90 axle. Just hang your calipers with sturdy wire , drop out old axle slide in new one. Your calipers will fit both axles and you wouldn't have to bleed brakes, or worry about taking the rotors etc from one to the other. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    If you dont want to deal with anything then I would bolt in the 90 axle. Just hang your calipers with sturdy wire , drop out old axle slide in new one. Your calipers will fit both axles and you wouldn't have to bleed brakes, or worry about taking the rotors etc from one to the other. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, just be sure the new front axle's gearing and the rear axle's gearing match.

6. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

If your friends isn't the right gear ratio I'm selling my front 8 lug 10 bolt with 3.73 gears. It's out of my '90 3/4 ton Sub. Pm me if your interested.