Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

10-Bolt front-end problem..HELP

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by smack, May 21, 2003.

1. smack

smack 1/2 ton status

After a long road trip towing a boat I'm finally living in Colorado. On the road I noticed that my left front hub was flinging grease. Today I pulled it apart to look around, pulled the bearings, everything looked fine. When I lock the left front hub and drive in 4-wheel, something in the wheel squeeks with every rotation. When parked with the hub locked, just turning the wheel does the same thing. It doesn't do it with the hubs in 'free.'
    Now I didn't pull the spindle but I'm wondering if that bearing could be toast. Is there a way to check the bearing without ripping it all apart again?
    From what I've read in previous posts it sounds like a tough job replacing those suckers.
    TIA,
    smack

2. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Sounds like it may be that bearing inside the spindle bcos the the only time the axle moves is when the hub is locked in. Never replaced one before. Not even sure how you would tackle that.