Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

10 bolt fronts & D44s

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 84_Chevy_K10, Aug 27, 2001.

1. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Okay, I know you guys like yanking my chain, and I've posted this before. If you were NOT rockcrawling and you broke a 10 bolt or D44 front, I'd like you to post it here.

Like I've said before, my friends run 38-44" tires on them with open diffs and have never broken them, but we run mud. Actually, one broke once, but the driver lacks sanity and has a big block. He has 39.5 Boggers.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I broke my D44 u-joints and all 4 pices of the axle shaft the first time I took it off road. It was my 3rd attempt at a hill climb with well warn 33" AT's.

Note: On 1st gen blazers the u-joints are smaller than the 73-

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/triaged>See it Here </a>

3. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

I broke one in the snow once. The trail is real easy in the summer, I take my Dodge up there to go camping, but there was lots of snow. And throttle. I don't remember if the front was locked at the time (probably), but as far as the rockcrawling stuff, locking the 44 didn't seem to have much of an effect on parts brakeage (lots before and after the locker).

After the 60, the weak link (for this kind of stuff) seems to be the Joints in the CV (Blew one last year, similar circumstances but much more snow, much more throttle (floored), and much better tires (I had bald 35 MTs w/the 44 front).

[edit] BTW I'm sitting here w/a broken 60 shaft on my desk.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by pcorssmit on 08/27/01 03:08 PM.</FONT></P>

4. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

I broke my 10 bolt driving down the street. the carrier broke on it. BTW why do you want to know?

<font color=blue>Esteban</font color=blue>

<font color=red></font color=red>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Estebans-album>Take A Gander At My Truck Here.</a>

5. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

Here's my list:

Rear... Small spider gears, Broken teeth from ring and pinion (two sets).

Front... 3 axle stubs, 1 axle U-joint, 1 Chipped tooth from ring gear, That was from wheeling some river beds. And hitting the mud I've broke 1 axle u-joint and a tru trac.

This was in a period of 5 or 6 years of wheeling the same truck with 39" boggers and 1/2 ton axles.

Check out my picture and you can see an old pic of my K5 with 1/2 tons still on it.

<font color=red>"Wheel hard or go home."</font color=red>
    click to see <a target="_blank" href=http://www.off-road.ws/images/users/BOWTIE/bowtie5.jpg> BOWTIE</a>

6. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

How come I sound like a broken FAWKIN record here[​IMG]. I broke a 10 bolt rear driving in town, pulling away from a stoplight running 31's. Broke TWO frnt shafts while climbing a gravel pile that was 36-38" tall getting ready to measure for shocks.

I guess the second IS rockcrawling, I was on gravel [​IMG]

10 bolts SUCK!!!

Kyle
    89K5

7. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

My dad blew the 10 in the rear of our Sub backing out of a parking space. Totally stock, 31s, the cross pin retaining bolt backed out, the cross pin slipped, and destroyed the carrier.

My brother blew his 12 on the street ('70 K5), it was pretty worn out though (29 years old at the time). 3.08s, 235/75P15s, broke 5 teeth off the ring gear and locked up every few feet. Towed home on a flat bed.

Had a friend in high school w/a K5 on 35s, weak 305, 4.10s, shot the spiders out the rear cover in the parking lot trying to spin the tires (SM 465).

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Like I said, I specified FRONT axles. I know the 10 bolt rears are junk. Mine shot parts too. It had 2.73 gears (not a typo) and 31" tires.

I also destroyed a 12 bolt rear with 3.08s.

But I've never broken a front and only one of my friends have.

I hated to post this again but when I had posted about few people breaking 1/2 ton (and 3/4 ton, same thing) front axles, everyone seemed to just say, "they're junk, blah blah."

I would LOVE a Dana 60 with an ARB, but I don't have the money right now. I really haven't had any axle problems up front though, and I would just like to see if me and my friends are really as lucky as others have been.

Bowtie, your list isn't so bad for a locked axle with that big of tires over that much time.

Tim

9. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

I have a friend with a blazer who's broken many dana44 (6 and 8 lug) axleshafts and even broke a good posi &amp; r&amp;p.. never have I heard of or seen an actual housing break... I think if I was running huge tires or huge motor, Id invest in some strong aftermarket axles.. the stock axles will have to do for now, for me... maybe in the future i'll upgrade.. 33's are fairly mild

mike

10. ScoobyDann

ScoobyDann 1/2 ton status

El Paso, TX (Far West Texas near Las Cruses
    ill post this for HispanicPanic cause hes not on very often, but i was trying to go up a soft dirt hill and backed off cause I didn't want to break anything, dug 4 holes in the process of going up, HP wanted to make me look bad and tried it but a little faster, got airborne (about 4-5") not bad but once it fell into the hole "POP" and thats all she wrote. he was stuck we used 2 trucks (mine and the grey bronco, bronco had 44 up front also) the bronco broke his front ez locker, and i had to pull the bronco and HP and i didnt break anything. and i had 10 bolt f/r.

Hut in the well is goin on in here?

sun desert offroad <a target="_blank" href=http://4x4.alloffroad.com>4x4.alloffroad.com</a>

11. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

bullchit, what makes the front so damn much stronger than the rear?
    <blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Like I said, I specified FRONT axles. I know the 10 bolt rears are junk

<hr></blockquote>My rear lasted longer than all of my fronts had? How do you figure than one. I don't really think you honestly know what you're talking about.

Kyle
    89K5

12. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Broke a couple shafts and u-joints, climbing hills and trialriding.

Mike

<font color=green>"It's like a sore dick deal, You cant beat it!"</font color=green>

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/emmettology101>www.geocities.com/emmettology101</a>

13. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

I think front 10 bolts are full floaters actually [​IMG]

It's been lovely, but I have to scream now.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/muddin4fun79blazer>My wonderful site</a>

14. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Front 30-spline 10-bolt with an Eaton posi and 4.10 gears with 35" tires. Two front axle shaft u-joints at different times while climbing rutted dirt hills.

In regards to the comment about the front 10-bolts being stronger than the rears it is kind of right. More accurately, the front's typically don't have as much stress on them and see much less wear and tear because the vast majority of the time you are in 2wd. I think wear and fatigue is a big factor in rear 10-bolt failures and for the normal driver at least 90% or more is in 2wd, so at 100,000 miles on the odometer the front only has 10,000 miles on it. Also, when accelerating, and especially when climbing hills, the weight transfers to the rear axle putting more stress on it.

For all of the people who say they broke a 10-bolt pulling out of a parking space for just cruising down the road, that's not what caused it to break. It's simply that it started to fail during that burnout or off-road trip the week before and was on it's last leg........add a few miles on a fatigued part and eventually it will puke even under really mild conditions.

Yes, all front steering axles I know of are full floater designs. It would be pretty hard to make a semi-floater axle that has the capability of turning.

15. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

The idoits at Dodge figured out how to do it (semi-floater front end). Tons of late '70's 1/2 and 3/4 tons as well as all the '94 + trucks are disgraced with this setup. The newer ones use a sealed bearing similar to the IFS Chevys. These front ends also have no locking hubs (old and new). The older ones are full time and can be converted to lockouts (aftermarket, not cheap either), the newer ones use CAD.

Pete

'97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

16. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

*Ed McMahon voice* YES! You are cor-rect! [​IMG]
    All front ends are full floaters

If the shoe fits, get another one just like it
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

17. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

I'll agree, they are full float, and to the points that 6.2 made, yes, they don't see the strain. IMO, however, haveing a u-joint in the axle, make it a weak spot. If the front axle underwent the same stress as the rear axle, I think it would fail even more. For instance, if the front axle was used as a daily driven recieving all of the torque during daily driving trips, then it would break faster than the rear. Even with proper maintenance.

Simply put, the more moving parts in an assembly, the more prone to wear and failure it will be.

BTW, muddin, the majority of this post was not aimed at you specifically, you just happened to be the reply button I hit [​IMG]

Kyle
    89K5

18. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Just as another side note, I've not had a shaft failure in the rear end. Only in the frontend. my rear end failures have all been carrie/gear realated. Therefore, in my case's I can through the full float/semi float deal out.

Kyle
    89K5

19. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Kyle89K5,

I was going to talk about the full floating design, but everyone beat me to it, so I won't bother.

My main point is, if your offroading isn't, "crank and slam" these axles are fine.

Tim

20. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Yes, I agree. If you moved a front 10-bolt to the rear you would probably see more failures because of the u-joints and the necked down axle shafts. However, the u-joints are not necessarily the weak link when the tires are straight ahead....assuming the joints don't have tons of mile on them. This points back to wear and fatigue being a big contributor to failures.

I think pcorsmt (sp??) is confusing the unitized hub and bearing design with a semi-floating design. It would be very difficult to make a semi-floating front steering axle because of the u-joint in the shaft and keeping it from just flopping around. Plus, you would have to install some type of retainer (such as c-clips) to hold the axle shaft and keep it from pulling out of the housing.