Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

10 bolt full floater and alloy axles?

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by Danivek, Dec 18, 2000.

1. Danivek

Danivek Registered Member

I have an 83 stepside chevy pickup, 4.56 gears, 35 14.50x15" Boggers full detroit in the rear and auburn posi in the front, heres the doah!!
    There 10 bolts front and rear. I was wondering what you would compare them (the FF kit for the rear and the alloy stuff for the front)to in strength? I like to do everything from rocks to mud to sand, but mostly the hard rocky stuff.
    I know now i should have saved the money and did this to something stronger, but im limited to money. Right now im just waiting for the day I here PING!
    thanks for the input
    Dan

2. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

If you plan to do all your wheeling with less than a 38" tire, you can start poking some money in the 1/2T axles. if you're going over the 38's, save up for 1 ton stuff. That's just a guideline, and there is some flexibility given different drivers and terrain, but it's pretty good generally. We do have some customers driving on 38.5" sx's and doing NASTY hard stuff, but experience goes a long way. On the same lines we have customers that break D60's with 36's, driving has a lot to do with it.
    In your case, i'd say pull the detroit out of the rear and put it in the front, or sell it to someone for a front end and go to a 30 spl 10 bolt, a 12 bolt, or a semi floating 14 bolt. Best cross of strength, ease of bolting in and ground clearance will be the 12 bolt. But it's not a lot better than making the 10 bolt you have with your r&p set a 30 spline. Save some bucks for the alloy axles in the front and rear, and be a careful driver. You'll be able to drive some lines that you couldn't if you went to bigger axles, and i have found that ride quality is worse with the heavier axles. All is not lost, you can make it work and do it a little bit at a time. You have a good start, but the 28 spl rear(I'm assuming you kept it 28 spl) is the only hangup now.

[​IMG]
    SW-ORD

3. Danivek

Danivek Registered Member

thanks
    consider it done. i think im a pretty good driver so i think ill kiip the 10s a little bit longer