Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

10 bolt goin south

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jimmy'sjimmy, Aug 12, 2002.

1. jimmy'sjimmy

jimmy'sjimmy 1/2 ton status

ok my 10bolt has decided to bend. /forums/images/icons/mad.gif its not much but f you look at it its plain as day. the folks at off-road.com said someone over here may have a little better advice. i have someone who will make a truss for me for $130. would that keep it together till i can find a new axle? /forums/images/icons/confused.gif the other problemo is that im leaving for school in 2weeks and i dont have much time or money. what do u guys think would be my best bet?

2. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Well, first of all, welcome to CK5. Plan on spendin some time here....Great place to be. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif Second- Fill out your profile, location and alttle info on your rig...So we can help ya better. Third- I assume it's the rear 10 bolt? If so, you should be able to find one at a junk yard fairly easy and cheap. 10 bolts are a dime a dozen. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif If your housing is cracked or the tubes are bent, Then it's pretty much not salvageable. Ya need to replace the whole thing. I just went thrhough the same thing awhile back with my 12 bolt. Broke the housing....Just swapped in a new one. lol...Then I went to the 1 ton rear 14 bolt. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif No more worries.... /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

3. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

If theres any way you can do it, upgrade to a 12 bolt. It'll pay for itself over a 10 bolt.

4. jimmy'sjimmy

jimmy'sjimmy 1/2 ton status

thanks guys. i dont think its too too bad though, the housing isnt cracked and the its a slight bend. thats why i thought the truss may save it from going to the big rig in the sky. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif i found someone in town that could make me a truss for $130 is that not worth the money? if i do find a new axle how hard is the swap? ill have my best bud there with me to help out, he knows alot from his dad, so we if it can be done in the parking lot of the apartments im all for it /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

5. FLASHLIGHT76

FLASHLIGHT76 1/2 ton status

well I just swapped a new front axle in, in a matter of a few hours. As long as your axle comes out of a chev you should have no problems. Just make sure you take the diff cover off first and check it all out before you purchase. The swap sounds like the best bet for you. It will cost about what your friend wants for the truss.