Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

10 bolt gov-lock, how to remove axle?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by divorced, Mar 5, 2005.

1. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I will be going to my friends house shortly to help him remove an axle shaft from a 10 bolt rear with a gov-lock. I have never removed one from a gov-lock, only an open diff with the c-clips. He says he can't figure out how to remove them, he says some type of "I" shaped metal block is in the way. How do they come out? If ya'll tell me the trick he will think I'm real cool... :D

2. hawk368

hawk368 Registered Member

:doah: :thinking: I just did mine about a year ago. Now you had me thinking, And now my head hurts.:frown1: :confused: I'm to tired to think, but I remember it was easy after I pulled the cross pin. Took me about 5 min. to figure out.:thumb: Good luck.

If I remember anything else in the morning I'll post. Not that it makes any diff, but mine was a 12bt.

3. K5Chris

K5Chris 1/2 ton status

you pull the pinion shaft just like you would with an open diff...... you push the axle in, and pull the c clip..... i believe there should be just barely enough room.... that I shaped thing is shapped like an i for a reason.... to give you room to pull the c cip.

my govlock had to be cut out... haha.... it was cracked in half, and it tore the gears up real bad, and they were froze up..... i couldnt turn it to pull the shaft..... so i just cut it apart... it was trash anyways.

4. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Thanks, we'll give it a try. We have never had to take one apart before, they were always destoyed so we just replaced the whole rear end.