Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

10 bolt inner seal

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by shaun, Apr 29, 2004.

1. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

So I am rebuilding the 10 bolt to match my recently installed 14bFF. The question I have is is there a way to replace the inner seal without pulling the ring and pinion? If not how hard is it to remove and replace the ring and pinion on a 10 bolt? Or do I even need to replace this inner seal? How do I know if it is bad? I know I should replace it but how difficult is it? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2. backyardbuilt

backyardbuilt 1/2 ton status

You have to take out the carrier it comes out that way. You don't need to take out the pinion though. They are not that easy to replace. You need to pull everything from the knuckle out off both sides of the axle and remove the carrier. Does the end of your axle tube leak gear oil when parked off camber if not then yours are still good. If you do replace them a piece of pipe the same diameter of the seal and a little longer than the long side axle tube with a hammer will push them out. To install the new ones I used a socket that fit over the seal and a rubber mallet to tap them back in worked great for the little while the d44 was in the truck.