Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

10-bolt inner spindle shaft bearing seal correct orientation

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MNChevy4x4, Feb 5, 2005.

1. MNChevy4x4

MNChevy4x4 Registered Member

I searched but I could not find the answer. The seal that goes inside the spindle against the axle bearing. Which way does it go? The cross section is a U. does the flat side go against axle bearing or does it go the opposite?
    Thanks!

2. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

Flat side always goes out flush with the hub

Kinda hard to see but you can use this as reference In the pic the flat side is what you see.

[​IMG]

3. MNChevy4x4

Thanks, but but I think you mean inner wheel bearing seal. I am probably not using the right name for the bearing this seal is for. The bearing is located inside the spinde. It is a needle bearing that the outer section of the axle shaft rotates in.
    When you pull the spindle, the seal I'm asking about is at the end of the spindle (the end that is next to the knuckle).
    Thanks!

4. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

Best reference pic I could find...
    from the left) the large metal dust shield, the axle shaft seal and the metal spacer that goes on the shaft....spindle bearing seal, spindle bearing

[​IMG]

5. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I always put the spindle seal so the cup is pointed inwards (the side that is flat points outwards towards the knuckle).

I always put the butterfly seal so the lip is close to the bearing hub. Don't forget the little plastic piece.

I always put the hub seal so the cup is pointed inwards towards the bearings.

6. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I think it is called the torrington bearing or something. I am not sure which way it goes, but if nobody answers up I'll go dig up a spindle in the garage and look.

7. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

8. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Readymix is correct, the seal flat surface goes against the torrington bearing. The lip portion of the seal is to help keep out any dirt and or water from entering the spindle bearing. If the seal were installed the other way then dirt and or water could easily enter the spindle bearing. :thumb:

9. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

Not to hijack but..anyone have the spicer part# for the lil metal dust flinger that attaches to the far inside of the stub shaft?? Need 2.

10. CyberSniper

I didn't know we had any torrington bearings in the front end of our trucks. :dunno:

The spindle seal has lips on both sides so I always put them in so the grease fills the back side instead of mud. They're pretty cheap and I don't think they do much sealing. Heck, depending on where you get your spindle seals you might not even get a spring inside the seal.

Spicer SPI-706527X is the spindle bearing and seal kit and contains the spindle seal, the spindle bearing, the plastic spacer piece, and the butterfly slinger for under $5.

11. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

I dont have the spicer number for the slinger but i do have them for the Spindle bearing kits.

10 bolt/ D44 is SBK1
    D60 is SBK3

Napa uses BK1 and BK3. They do not include the plastic or bronze thrust washer if ordered at NAPA. Retail price is between $15 and $18 depending on which you buy. You will need 2 kits for the whole axle. One per side.

12. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

I got confused reading this. Are you talking about the little seal that goes in the spindle, or the big one that goes on the outer shaft? The spring always faces whichever way you want to keep the oil or grease in.

13. CyberSniper

Alright, I'm really confused.

First off, I've never seen a torrington bearing anywhere. There's a piece of plastic that is a locator (thrust I guess) spacer.

from Pirate:
    [​IMG]

14. 4X4HIGH

Cybersniper has a pic showing correct orientation of the pieces. The torrington bearing is located in the spindle near the axle U-joint side and this is what the stub axle rides in.

15. MNChevy4x4

That picture shows exactly what I need! Than you everyone.

16. CyberSniper

That's a needle bearing... not a torrington bearing. A torrington bearing is used in thrust applications like on the end of a camshaft...

As a side note, there are two different kinds of seals I've seen for the little itsy bitsy one that goes inside the spindle. One has two sealing lips and the other kind has one with a spring inside.

17. 4X4HIGH

You have lots to learn young grass hopper. :D

Not all torrington bearings are for thrust applications. The bearing in the spindle is a torrington bearing.

18. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Yes and no. They are commonly called Torrington bearings. The proper name is a radial thrust needle bearing. Where as the "Torrington" bearing you would find at the end of a camshaft should be called an Axial thrust needle bearing.

Does it really matter. No....Ask 10 differnet people and you will get 10 different answers.

Not all torrington bearings are for thrust apps but remember that the spindle bearings in our application are not neccesarily used for thrust, but by design can handle a large amount of thrust compared to thier size and cross section.

Also there is radial thrust, Like in the spindle and axial thrust, like at the end of a cam. It all depends on the application.

Torrington is not really a correct name for any one design of bearing. It is the name of a company that i believe has been purchased by Timken. No sure though. Tim might know for sure as he was a parts counter guy...:D

19. CyberSniper