Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

10 bolt life

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sprocket11c, Mar 4, 2006.

1. sprocket11c

sprocket11c Newbie

Hey ya'll im sure this is a common question but ive yet to see the response im looking for..Ive got an 87 k5 thats gutted and rhino lined inside and out...ive got a 8 inch lift with 33 inch mickey thompsons but it looks rather stupid with all that room and no meat....how long will the stock ten bolts last with say a 37 inch tire just driving on the street? Im getting deployed back to iraq so i want to save the money for some killer axles when i get back..ive also got an auto tranny and stock gears..thanks

2. mrhoes

mrhoes 1/2 ton status

If all you are doing is driving it on the street, 10 bolts will probably be fine

3. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

If you have stock gearing and an auto, you really need to invest in a tranny cooler because you will burn out the tranny very fast without one.

4. fasthumpman

fasthumpman Registered Member

what about a 12 bolt with stock gearing and 4 inch lift and 35's???????? anyone!??

5. TDAWG1

TDAWG1 1/2 ton status Premium Member

All will work just fine. Remember its how you use it. If you plan on really palying hard or like me you can't keep your foot out of it you'll want to upgrade. 4.56 or better in the 12b and just get rid of at least that rear 10. good luck guys, remember if it ain't broken U ain't havin fun....! or so they say.

6. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Just don't use overdrive unless you are running on the highway at above 55 mph. Otherwise the tranny may not lockup in OD which will cause heat to build up and heat is what causes tranny's (especially a 700R4) to die quickly.

Harley

7. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

in my stock 77 k-10 3.07 rig with 33" tires and th350 it has one of those aluminum tube fin tranny fluid coolers mounted in front of the radiator and the tranny lines run through it, but also the lines are on the radiator and running down there too, unless they arent connected to the trans or anything and are just cut off

would just running the tans fluid through the aluminum cooler be ok ?

or should i modify it ?

thanks