Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

10 bolt on 36s?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jk3078, Dec 28, 2005.

1. jk3078

jk3078 1/2 ton status

How many of you runnin a welded 10b rear with 36'' or bigger tires? Is this asking for trouble? I'm getting gears for my sub-buggy( 4.56or4.88) and I'm looking at all my options. I've got a 14bsf 8 lug I could put in but a 10b is lighter and has more clearence.The buggy is fairly light, 3700# or so, but I do wheel pretty hard some times.The axle is a 28 spline, could I use a 30 spline front carrier with 30 spline axles from a newer rearend? How much Would this boost the strengh? JUst tryin to look at every angle, thanks for any info.

2. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

i think if you're looking to stick to half ton go with a 12bolt rear... a few guys down in phoenix have wheeled 35s on 12 bolts for years... and they wheel really hard

3. OffRoad

OffRoad 1/2 ton status

you should be ok. depends on the driver

there's a guy here who had a truggy on 40s with 1/2 tons. he had it around 2600 pounds though...:D

4. blackblazer717

blackblazer717 1/2 ton status

doo luck with your 1/2 tons holding up to ANYTHING bigger than a 35

LUKE

5. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

the 10 bolt i had in my 91 K1500 broke with bald 31s on it. i wouldnt even think of trying anything bigger.

6. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

i ran 35's with open 10b's with 3.73s and never had any problem with them. as long as they dont have any kind of traction device you will probably be ok, jus lay off the gas pedal

7. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

My buddy has a 10 bolt front welded with 36" IROKS and we rock crawl. He has 3 runs so far without breakage, but I suspect it will happen sometime soon. He does have a rear 12 bolt with Superior axle shaft which are pretty darned cheap. I would go that route with a rear axle if you really want the ground clearance. I myslef have the"Set it and Forget it" 14ff :)

8. mudboy

mudboy Registered Member

:dunno: on my old 3/4 ton pick up, which had a 10 bolt in the front, I blew both hubs first then put a good set of warns on, then I snapped a front drivers side outer and the following day i snapped the front passenger side outer. Oh yeah this was with 33" bald terrains in the mud. Now I do remind you, I do have an extremely heavy right foot but then again I was still dissapointed with the stock 10 bolt axles.

9. muddybuddy

i guess people have different experiences. i have a heavy foot and i never had problems with 35s

10. toy4x4runner

toy4x4runner 1/2 ton status

I'm running 35x12.50 M/T's on some 15x10 alloy rims with my 4runner. and a D44 upfront and a Toy 8 V6 in the rear. No probelms and I beat it hard offroad. I think weight has a big factor in breakage. in the toyota world we say 37" max on a Toyota axles, or D44's. we weigh about 4K and have 150HP MAX! lol.

11. muddybuddy

toy axles are surprisingly very strong eventho they have a small ring gear.

12. jk3078

jk3078 1/2 ton status

Well I'm running a set of bald 35'' ssr's right now but its only went through 5 trail runs and the 2 day fall mud bog and no problems yet,stock 3.43(sucks)gears and welded front and rear I also do hammer down alot.Those Iroks i'm gittin are going to hook up way better though.Maybe the 14bsf is the way to go. Any more .02?

Last edited: Dec 29, 2005
  13. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I gaurantee that it will work

Till it breaks:D .

Ira

14. beastofablaze

beastofablaze 1/2 ton status

open or conventional locker no problem... welded ... no way. Plenty of guys on here running 36x12.50 tsls on 10bs and lockers with no problems.

If your the kind of guy that can't wheel without denting the floor board under the pedal then get some 1 tons. If not then they will work fine with a smart driver. Welded is asking for it on 10bs tho.

15. wildmouse216

wildmouse216 1/2 ton status

Most of what I've seen break on 10 bolts is the spider gears so if you weld them all together into one big lump maybe they will survive. Eliminate as much excess weight as you can and keep out of the go pedal.

16. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

Of the 3 10 bolts and 1 12 bolt I destroyed all had a broken carrier/spider gears, If I were to run 1/2 ton stuff again I would do it with a full replacement diff (detriot locker or full spool) and use a diff cover that allowed me to keep tension on the bearing caps to keep them from deflecting, but then again 14 bolts are cheap and I can drag them over whatever I want.

I'm sure this has been brought up but why don't the guys who want 1/2 ton stuff and strength run 9" rears?

17. jk3078

jk3078 1/2 ton status

Low pinion+five lug axles+Ferd part=NO!!!

As far as weight theres nothing left out back on this truggy as I cut all the body off behind the front seat. What about the newer 10b 30 spline diffs anyone know if these are much stronger than the 28s. I see several people have recomended 12bs but my main prob. with these is the pinion bearings going out and chewing up the ring gear.any .02 on this?

Last edited: Jan 1, 2006
  18. muddybuddy

what about 10/12b full floater conversion if you wanna stay 1/2ton?

19. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

I can't remember if 10 bolts are high pinion or not but 9" can be had either way and there are several manufaturers that will drill the flange anyway you want and you could pick one up from currie that has absolutely nothing to do with ford, but then again henry made the V8 possible so try not to hold that against him

20. jk3078

jk3078 1/2 ton status

I heard they quit makeing those floater conversions, anyway probly outside of my budget any way,its hard doin much when you got a family. Thats why my junk all looks like rolling piles of rusted scrap metal!:haha: