Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

10 bolt or 44 q

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dheavychevy38, Dec 2, 2003.

1. dheavychevy38

dheavychevy38 1/2 ton status Premium Member

can either of these axles be built to with stand 38s or 40
    inch tires cause i can't afford a 60 plus there are none in my area?
    or should i get 35's instead

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

35's, unless you're really good about not mashing the throttle.

3. dheavychevy38

i am running 38's now but has anyone tried those warn fuseable links for your hubs do they break before the u-joint and axle like they say or are they a joke

4. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

Do you plan to ever go with a D60? If you do I would just say stay with the 10bolt/D44 and save up for one, try to find some "yunk" front ends some times people will give you a NASTY one for free or really cheap you can just keep it laying around for parts (shafts espically and mabe U-joints) and I do know its hard but rember YOU CAN still drive your truck if its a DD with a blown out broken front end just dont lock it in 4wd /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. dheavychevy38

yes i plan to go to a 60 but probly won't be able to get one for at least a year and trust me i know about driveing it with busted shafts i have had 6 long ones break 2 stubs and one short one
    oh yeah i forgot ialso welded the front /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

6. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    oh yeah i forgot ialso welded the front

[/ QUOTE ]

That's bad news with 38's...35's for that matter. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

7. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

welding a 10bolt/d44 never helps

8. dheavychevy38

only the front is welded it's not that bad just be smart i have given some abuse the only time i get scared is when it hops but nothing has broke in two weekends of wheeling

i want to take it to the bad lands but i have to drive there and back in the beast thats the only down side

9. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    busted shafts i have had 6 long ones break 2 stubs and one short one

[/ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

10. dheavychevy38

where i go it's mostly mud some hills the winch gets work out

11. dheavychevy38

good thing my work has a scrap steel trailer the only expensive thing about the shafts is the u-joints one day i set out to break one on purpose to see if it's the axle or the u-join ever time it's the u-joint no the axle but when it breaks it takes out the axle

12. JDBlazer454

JDBlazer454 1/2 ton status

I've run 10 bolt, 44, and 60. The 60 is definately superior, but if you don't have the $$ for it, then in my experience, the 10 bolt is definately better. I ran one with 373 gears (4:10 14 bolt ff rear) for 3 years and never broke it with 39.5s. I've broken dana 44s with 38s with matched gears, even though the axle diameters are a little bigger with the 44.

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

10 bolt and D44 use the same joint, and on those axles that is the weak point so both are equal in strenth in my opinion. I prefer the 10 bolt as it's easier to find shafts for.

I have 38.5x16 TSLs on my 10 bolt and I've trashed it twice in four outings. I'm done fixing it, it will likely be swapped out for a D60 with crossover/hydro before it leaves the yard again.

I ran it for two years with no breakage with 35s. It's open and has 4.10s. First trip out I snapped a u joint in half and trashed both short side shafts. Next trip I trashed the other side. So far so good in the last two trips, but I've been easy on it.

I refuse to stop holding my rig on the rev limiter and thus am going 1 ton with the 38.5s.

14. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    I refuse to stop holding my rig on the rev limiter and thus am going 1 ton with the 38.5s.

[/ QUOTE ] Why? give it a chance, I don't see the need to have your foot buried all the time on trail stuff. Mud boggs, hill climbing and sand are things that take a lot of HP but not floored the whole time.

And please get rid of the colorfull lama or camel or whatever the hell that fawkin' thing is, it's driving my eyes nuts! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif