Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

10 Bolt or D44 ?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by njonl, Jul 25, 2004.

1. njonl

njonl 1/2 ton status

I recently bought a 14 Bolt for my rear. Now, I need to find something for the front. Should I just use the 10 Bolt thats in there ? What do I need to do to make it 8 lug ? How does it compare to the D44 ? Thanks.

-Nick

2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

D44's and 10 bolts are generally considered equal in strength.

The outer parts (knuckles out) are identical, so you can interchange to upgrade to 8 lug if you want.

You'll find folks here selling 8-lug packages occasionally, but be aware that shipping the rotors can be costly /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I've not done the 8-lug thing myself yet, so I don't know what parts are required.

-- A

3. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

For the converion you will need backing plates from a 3/4 ton, spindles hubs and rotors

I swapped flat top knuckles, i went from a 10 bolt to a d44 back to a 10 bolt
    the shaft diameter isnt different enough to bother me, if I break a 10 bolt shaft chances are i would have broken a 44 shaft

Pics of shaft comparison 10 bolt shafts pictured top d44 bottom /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

4. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

The easiest and cheapest way to do it is to get BOTH the front and back axles out of a 3/4 ton truck. By the time you screw with trying to find and buy 8 lug hubs and get the gear ratio changed to match the 4.10 rear you will have way more money than just picking up a complete 3/4 ton front 10B with 8 lug hubs and 4.10 gears.

5. dodgedude99

dodgedude99 1/2 ton status

maybe its just on some that you have to switch the spindles.
    i had bought a set of 3/4 tons and the dana 44 was full time. i was given another set of spindles and hubs.
    well the one spindle was not good, and the full time spindles needed new axle shaft bearings, the 6 lug 10 bolt i took out, i used one of the spindles and it fit the 6 lug spindle.

6. dorucol

dorucol Registered Member

I did the 10 bolt conversion a few years back. You must have the mounting brackets from the dealer, for the calipers, about $70 each when I did this. Hubs and rotors came from Auto Zone, again $70 each.Otherwise, bearings, seals, calipers and pads are the same as 3/4 ton 8 lug. One other thing, if you are going to use 15 inch wheels, you must grind the outer 3/4 inch of the caliper, and the high spots on the mounting brackets to clear 15 inch wheels.