Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

10 bolt or dana 44

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K5Kell, Feb 26, 2003.

1. K5Kell

K5Kell Guest

I was looking in the axle guide in the technical section and it looks like the picture for the dana 44 is actually a ten bolt. Are they mixed up or something?
    -Kell-

2. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

Nope, that's a 44. Scroll down and look at the 10 bolt pic.

3. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

they both have 10 bolts in the cover the d44 usually has a flatter face on the diff cover...side by side the d44 sticks out like a sore thumb when faced to a 10bolt

4. K5Kell

K5Kell Guest

The picture of the d44 looks exactly like what I'm running but in one of offroad adventures axle guide it shows that same axle and calls it the 8.5 10blt /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif. Is this wrong? My rear was swaped out before I got it to a 12blt /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif so I'm hoping that I got the front d44 too. If anyone has a picture to rid all my doubts that would be great!
    -Kell-

5. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Well, the cover on the 10 bolt is almost perfectly round, the 44 has some jiggy edges. It also usually has 44 cast into the housing somewhere.

10 bolt - [​IMG]

Dana 44 - [​IMG] </font>

6. bee32

bee32 1/2 ton status

The front 10 bolt has two ears in housing on the top. Looks very similar to the 44 but look for the ears on top. If they are there than it is a ten bolt.

7. K5Kell

K5Kell Guest

Damn, it's got the ears on top. Oh well, guess you cant win em all /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif. Thanks for the help and pictures though!
    -Kell-