Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

10 bolt overhaul. . .advice needed

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 79Silv4x4, Nov 20, 2002.

1. 79Silv4x4

79Silv4x4 Registered Member

I'm gonna be renuilding the front 10 bolt in my 79 K-10 (balljoints, u-joints, seals, etc) and most everything looks pretty straightforward but I'm wondering about pulling and replacing the carrier. I read a post by Grim that said the shims are on the outside of the bearings and to make sure that they go back where they came out of. Is there anything else to look out for? If I put everything back like it came out will I have to worry about setting backlash or anything? Any other tips.
    Thanks

2. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

No, since you are not changing the carrier you will not have to set pinion depth, backlah, anything.
    -- Mike

3. 79Silv4x4

79Silv4x4 Registered Member

Great, that makes me feel a little better. I've worked on most everything on my truck but tranny and axle internals have always been 'off-limts' but I figure it's time to learn.

4. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Quick question, I am swapping a gov-lock into a rear end, it came out of a axle with 3.08, so I had the 3.73 ring gear put on it and going to through it in the axle I'm gonna use. So the carriers were swapped, am I gonna have to check everything out, backlash and pinion depth?

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

If you didn't mess with the pinion gear, then you'll just have to set the backlash. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

6. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Run me through backlash real quick since my books are in storage. Will that be the side shims?