Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

10 bolt pinion bearing replacement?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 79Silv4x4, Dec 17, 2002.

1. 79Silv4x4

79Silv4x4 Registered Member

I'm replacing axle shaft seals and ball joints in my 10 bolt and was wondering if I should go ahead and replace the pinion bearing while I have it torn down. If so, what do I need to know about doing this--is there a crush sleeve that needs to be replaced, is the bearing pressed on, torque specs, etc. Thanks for any advice. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

If your not certain on the history and wear of the axle, it would be a good idea to replace the bearings and seals while your in it. If your planning on making progressive upgrades to your truck then you may want to consider the cost as opposed to how long you may keep it. the pinion does use a crush washer and pinion to ring adjustment is critical to axle longevity. I dont recall if the bearing was pressed in on the 10 bolt but do recall that it usually needed to be pressed out.

3. dleroy43

dleroy43 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

A quik fix for all 10blt problems,
    1. go to junkyard
    2. buy 14ff rear
    3. put under truck
    4. drive through mud

well not sure if this will help you, but it helped me /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

4. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

The inner bearing has to be pulled off. You can buy this tool from harbor freight or go pay a local driveline shop $10 to do it. The new one has to be pressed on. You can use the loaner ball-joint press from Autozone or find the right sized pipe and use a press or large vice. Make sure that you press only on the inner solid part of the bearing and not on the cage or the rollers or you will scrap your new bearing. You will need to apply about 400 ft-lbs or torque to the pinion nut to start the new crush sleeve. You can use a quality breaker bar and 3 feet of steel pipe to do this. As an alternative, you can have the sleeve started in a press, bringing it down so that it is like halfway between the thickness it was new and the thickness of the old one. Then you won't need to apply as much torque to the pinion nut. You will need an inch pound torque wrench to get the preload right. You may want to have an extra crush sleeve available in case the get the first one too tight. Be sure to look up the proper installation procedure perhaps here: ring and pinion installation instructions Of course, you only need to look at the section covering setting the pinion preload on crush-sleeve pinions. Their specs are for pinion only, with the carrier removed. With your axles removes, you can do this with the carrier installed, by adding a little bit to the inch-lb. specs.

Be sure to use quality bearings and seals (Timken bearings are good.)

5. YtseJam

YtseJam 1/2 ton status

Good post Blue /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif