Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

10 bolt pinion nut torque specs?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Feb 25, 2002.

A friend of mine is working on his 10 bolt rearend and he needs to know what the torque specs are on the pinion nut. He changed the pinion seal and the repair manual said to count threads on the pinion when tightening it up. I thought that should be some torque specs on a pinion nut? Thanks in advance for the help.

Doug

4 wheelin's not a job, it's an adventure!

1. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Just tell him to use a 12" 1/2" drive hand ratchet an get it as tight as he can and you will pretty close.

Its the popping, rumbling, roaring, twisting, flexing, grinding, so you can wheel anywhere medicine[​IMG]

2. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

When setting up a R&P, the pinion preload should be about 12-15 in-lbs. That is after the 400 ft-lbs or so it takes to crush the collar. Since you can't check the preload (can't do that with the carrier and ring gear in place), I would agree to crank it as tight as possible. Then, keep a CLOSE EYE on it for a bit. If it isn't tight enough, it will back itself off.

Brian
    Check out <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>My Jimmy</a> with all her projects!