Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

10 bolt question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dirtwarrior17, Jan 30, 2005.

1. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

I have open 10 bolts on my 88 k5 and wan't to put either lockers or 4.56's front and rear. Im gonna leave the motor because factory says the 10 bolts have trouble with the stock gearing and 35's... the motor will be makin somewhere around 375 hp at the flywheel.... Do i need a 12 b or 14? I want to put gears in it first until i can get some money but i might weld up the front and throw a lockright in the back while im at it. Will a 10 bolt hold up? If not with lockers will it live with the gearing and open diffs? If im gonna bust something i'm gonna wait until i can get some good 1 tons.

Oh yeah... how do i tell if i got d44's or d60's? What about the gears... i no the stock gears are on the tags but i think the last owner did some work to it. It has chrome covers so i can't help thinking they might have swapped the old gears out when they did the lift. Seemed like it had real good response when i had the stock 350.

2. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

I would never weld a 10B. IMHO doing any significant amount of work/money to a 10b or D44 is a waste...tire size pending. Its like trying to polish a turd..just wont work LOL! Any $$ you waste on a 10B or 12B you could be saving to go 1 ton and not ever hafta worry about breakin somethin.

3. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

lol....

what about just the front as far as the welding... i have manual hubs so street wear/breakage is not an issue and i won't be doing any hard rock crawling. Basically mud and flexing for ruts and real mild rocks.

4. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

I can gaurantee you will snap shafts, ujoints or even hubs. But its yer $$$ :D:D

Weld it, get some chromo axles and CTM's and you'll be gold!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

im new when it comes to axles, are the yokes any different on a 12 b than they are on a 10b?

6. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

I like the 8-lug D44 :waytogo: just to defend my 84's front end :dunno: (will get a D60 DRW when money allows though)but if you are putting bigger than stock tires on yer axles yu are increasing the risk of breaking parts. Throwing a locker in on top f that greatly increases that risk.

7. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

I ran an 8 lug d44 on my last truck, I'm not knockin the axle itself...Just sayin its a waste to put any $$ into it and expect it to hold up, better oto save $$ and get a D60.

Hell my buddy gto me on tape grenading a 10b inner ujoint last summer, it was ****in classic! I upgraded big time...Went with spicer 5-760's. Thats the only thing I'd do, use the spicer UJ.

8. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

I just defend it cuz it came with my 84 crew dually (used to be 2wd) and I like it better than a 10bolt :dunno: :waytogo:

9. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

Both axles are fine, but its different per situation depending on what you do with yer rig.

10. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

I know I just like dana axles better than gm for some reason. Not even sure why. The 14ff is the only gm axle I like. And that's a killer axle!! ;) But if I had my choice all I would have all DRW D70 rears and D60 fronts. I like my duallys way too much ;) But for SRW I would use the 14ff... If I ever have another SRW vehicle :thinking: Even the burb I want to get in the future I will be putting a D70 rear and D60 front in when money allows. That's going to be my 6.2/700/208 daily driving type rig so I can tear down both my crew duallys. So yes if money allows D60 and D70 or 14ff depending on your personallity ;) :D Me I'm just a dually freak and proud to admit it mmmmwwwuuuahahahaha

11. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

I like beefy.

12. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

Beefy; it's what's for dinner :waytogo: If I ever get another rig just for rompin on and all I will of course go with a SRW D60 and 14ff seing as there really is no use for duallys in the mud and offroad ;) :D

13. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

with that kinda HP and 35" tires i wouldnt even think of doing anything to those 10bolts. defenatly not welding them. drive them as is , try not to abuse them and save up for a 14b. you can make the front hold up if you leave it open,and your smart about how you wheel. the spicer 5-760 UJ are alot better than what came in there, i consider that manditory replacement.

i doubt that the gears have been swapped just causs there is a chrome cover on there. you should pull both covers off anyway and refill with good fluid. while its empty, rotate the ring gear( jack one tire off the ground) while wiping the smooth surface of it. there will be a series of numbers stamped into it. thats the only real way to tell what gears you've got.