Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

10 bolt questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by grize, Jul 14, 2006.

1. grize

grize Newbie

could not find this on here, what is the difference between a 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton 10 bolt front axle housing? I bought a truck (79 1/2 ton Chevy) with the original axles swapped out for what I was told were 3/4 ton, the rear is a 14bolt FF and the front is a 10 bolt. The person I purchased this from turns out was not the one who build this truck so he doesn't know alot about it so I'm trying to figure out what I have here, thanks.

2. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

the search button will help alot...

3. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

4. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

The search button does not exist for non-members anymore.

The only differences between a 1/2-ton and 3/4-ton 10-bolt are the backing plates and the rotor/hub assemblies. See this thread.

5. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

AFAIK, 10-bolt fronts are identical from the knuckles in for 1/2 or 3/4 ton.

The only difference would be in the outers, i.e. one is 6 lug and one is 8 lug. (Well, the calipers on the 3/4 might have the larger bore, but physically the outers are interchangeable from 1/2 to 3/4, and in fact, from D44 to 10b fronts.)

If the front is 8 lug, it's 3/4, and if it's 6, it's 1/2 ton, but those parts are swappable without switching housing. Make sense?

-- A

6. grize

grize Newbie

thanks, the front is 8 lug so it sounds like I have 3/4 ton my next question is will this be able to hold up to a set of 36" tires and some mild wheeling and trips in the mud or do I need something stronger?

7. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

It'll hold up good enough for now. If things start to break, you can buy stronger parts (axle shafts, u-joints, etc) but if you really beat on it and trash things out, then you might eventually be better off with a D60.

8. grize

grize Newbie

thanks again, was kinda worried about running a 36" tire with this axle but from what I'm being told by several places it sounds like I should be OK for what I plan on running, again thanks for all the info