Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

10 bolt questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by y5mgisi, Nov 8, 2003.

1. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

I know, I know another 10 bolt post. Just had a few ?'s about my 10 bolt front though. I was wondering if i could take just the spider gears and the iner axel shafts from a 30 spline and put them in place of my 28 spline ones? And if i did that would it hold up to 36" tsl radials with smart useage of the skinny peddle? ok thats it what do ya think? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

wondering the same thing but I have an 8 lugger 10B.

3. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I have never really had a problem with the spline end of the front shaft. The weak spot is the axel joint area, which is the same for either spline.

4. rockink5

rockink5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    And if i did that would it hold up to 36" tsl radials with smart useage of the skinny peddle?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have 36" TSL radials on a front 10 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif. I leave it open and have had no probs(knocking on wood) with breakage running 28 spline shafts /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif. I don't abuse it, but I have been known to get it on occasion. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

5. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I had 40's on my 3/4 ton 10 bolt. broke an axel shaft at the ujoint. but that was it.

6. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

cool thanks guys, Hey rockinK5, Got any pics?? Anyone else know if this can actually be done.. Is it a direct swap of the side spider gears or what? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

7. rockink5

rockink5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    cool thanks guys, Hey rockinK5, Got any pics?? Anyone else know if this can actually be done.. Is it a direct swap of the side spider gears or what? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Not real sure what kind of pic you want, but here is a random poser pic(I have so many /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif) of the truck and the terrain I normally wheel in...............................

[​IMG]

As far as the swap, I'm pretty sure you have to swap the entire carrier to make the 30 spline work.

8. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

oh bummer. But i would like more pics and some info on your truck. I've been wanting to do 36" tsl Radials but dont nkow waht lift and weel combo would make them look good. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

9. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    I've been wanting to do 36" tsl Radials but dont nkow waht lift and weel combo would make them look good. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ] Are you going to wheel it? A daily driver/weekend worrior? Are looks important? Do you want to make it a trail toy only? If it's going to be a DD and looks are a concern I would start out with 6" to 9" of lift if you don't want to cut the fenders, and a nice aluminum rim either 15x10 or 12. If it's a trail truck I would go with about 4" of lift with beadlock 15x10 steelies, and some fender triming. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Leave it 28 spline. You might theoretically get stronger because of the 30 spline, but that isn't the week point like mentioned above. Stay 28 spline. If (when) you break those they are alot easier to find replacement and spares for then the 30 spline because they were only used in truck for a few years. 28's were used alot longer and are alot easier to find. Use a quality ujoint and manage the skinny pedal and you can do ok with 36's.

Harley