Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

10 bolt re-gearing?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by AK-5GUY, Feb 18, 2003.

1. AK-5GUY

AK-5GUY Registered Member

I want to re-gear my front 10 bolt from 3.42 to 4.56. I may do it myself, but if it looks to hard I will probably let a shop do it. Does anyone know what a shop might charge to put 4.56 gears into a front 10 bolt? Also, if anyone on here has a front 10 bolt for sale with 4.56's for around $150, let me know. Thanks.
    Harrison

2. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

You can probably count on about $50-80/hr. I dont know how long it would take to do it, but I'm guessing probably atleast about 2 hrs. The best thing would be to call around and find out, only the shop that's gonna do it can tell you how much they will charge.

3. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

i called around and i got about $1000 for all parts and labor, dunno how hard it would be though..

4. Snowbound

Snowbound Registered Member

It may be cheaper for you to buy the parts and then find someone to put the gears in /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

5. 3car

3car 1/2 ton status

4 wheel parts down here in orlando wants $575 for gears install kit and labor.thats about right in the ballpark.

6. AK-5GUY

AK-5GUY Registered Member

Have any of yall ever done this yourselves? How hard is it to do?
    Harrison

7. 90K5Blazer

90K5Blazer Registered Member

Its not difficult, just very, very time consuming. Not to mention it is very tedious work. If you have access to alot of measuring tools, (i.e., calipers, dial indicators etc.) then give it a shot. If you don't have alot of free time then let someone else do it. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

8. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

I re-geared my front 10 bolt in about 8 hours. We took a lot of breaks...anyway, the hardest part is crushing the crush sleeve. Get the longest breaker bar you can and jump on it and it'll slowly turn. A shop press wouldn't hurt and a bearing puller would be nice too.

9. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

You are joking about finding a 10-bolt front with 4.56s for $150, right?!? The gears alone with an install kit will run that. Gears alone run around $100. A COMPLETE install kit should run another $75-85. You can do it yourself, but will need various specialty tools and a lot of patience. Gears aren't that hard, but do require precision. If not, they won't last long and all your work becomes for not. Then again, doing it yourself teaches you a lot about what is going on inside the axle making it easier to troubleshoot a problem later when you may be 20 miles form the nearest pavement!

Going rate around here for gear install alone (no parts) is around $350 for a front axle and $250-300 for the rear. You are planning to re-gear both, aren't you?