Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

10 bolt rear discs?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by NorthernRedNeck, May 20, 2002.

1. NorthernRedNeck

NorthernRedNeck Registered Member

Has anybody ever/is it possible to convert my 10 bolt 30 spline rear diff to disc brakes using a set-up off of an 89 GTA firebird? I just happen to have one now, and wondered since everything I have heard/read uses the Eldorado or the earlier (80-ish) T/A pieces. If someone can shed some light here it would be appreciated.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I've kind of been working on this on again/off again, but too many projects.

The one major problem is going to be the bracket/backing plate. Compare the two bolt patterns. The El Dorado backing plate bolt pattern is rectangular like the trucks, but 1/2" smaller rectangle....might be able to re-drill the backing plate, might not. If you had someone fab up a bracket, that would work too I'm sure. The main sticking point is USUALLY the 6 lug rotors (not off a car obviously) and the thickness of the rotor. Give or take a few tenths, the ElDo rear disks for instance, are 1", which means that you can't use front rotors from the truck (1.25" IIRC) on the rear, and have them fit the calipers. If the camaro disks are that narrow, you'll have the same problem. The solution *might* be in something like a 6 lug toyota rotor, which would likely be thinner/smaller.
    A spare 10 bolt axle/housing would be nice to play around with.

Is the F-body a parts car, or were you just wondering if the disks off another one same vintage would work?

Apparently some of the later F-bodies used an integral drum parking brake, which would be a real nice setup, but I'm thinking that was like '99 or so. And still might be dealing with the rotor thickness issue.

3. NorthernRedNeck

NorthernRedNeck Registered Member

Thanx for the info, glad to see i wan't the only one who had wondered about this set-up. Yes, the f-body is a parts car...I bought it for the motor/trans too swap into my Malibu, and before I went and sold off the diff I wondered if it could be of any use to me.