Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

10 bolt rear disk brakes

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by wrathORC, Feb 14, 2003.

1. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

OK, I could've sworn I saw somewhere that someone used front backing plates on the back to make for rear disk brakes. I'm pretty sure it was here that I read it but I can't find it anywhere. I even googled myself to death for two hours looking for it.

Why do this you ask? Because I'm thinking I'm going to keep my truck as a daily driver and moderate off-roading. I want to have the ground clearance of a ten bolt with 33s. I want to have disk brakes to eliminate the mud problem and the infamous break a c-clip and watch your tire pass you on the highway problem.

So, has anyone done this? I have a pair of ten bolts laying on my barn floor but I'm having serious difficulty getting them apart without a torch to heat some fasteners up.

Most people go with the TSM kit. I don't want to. #1: cost. #2: dinking around with machining rotors every time you do a brake job. #3: making plates to keep water from splashing on the rotors when you're on the street with hot brakes.

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

There are a couple really good threads about this. Also search 12 bolts, since the conversion is the same.

3. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

Well the one place I know of is right here this site has a tech on a disk brake swap but it is for a 14b, But it still mite help you out

Eric

4. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

A-Tron is giving a set away in the garage. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

5. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

I spent a bunch more time this morning chasing stuff down. I found that people have done it but not how they did it. 99% of all posts are people that used TSM's, A-Tron's, or Stainless Steel brake's kits.

I found buckets of people who'd done it to Dana 44s on Jeeps but none of them had pictures.

6. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

12 Bolt disc
    Another 12 bolt disc thread

This is what I have saved. The swap is the same between 10 and 12 bolts, I think there is another thread or two covering this swap. It's pretty easy.

7. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

OK, go ahead and mock me. I was searching using "disk" and not "disc". Using "disc" got me 3 more hits including the two most useful that you included. I've got ten links now with various information.

I'm going to go outside and play around tomorrow to see how things fit. It's back to below zero outside again and I don't feel much like playing in the cold.

oops... I forgot to mention "thanks"... sometimes I'm a little dense.

8. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    OK, go ahead and mock me.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Wasn't mocking, making fun or any of that. Just posting for your info.

9. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Trust me, I deserve to be mocked. I'd mock me. I mean, that's just plain stupid. I mean, c'mon, what kind of goofball spends three and a half hours scrounging various forums and google and never uses an alternate spelling of "disk"?

10. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Trust me, I deserve to be mocked. I'd mock me. I mean, that's just plain stupid. I mean, c'mon, what kind of goofball spends three and a half hours scrounging various forums and google and never uses an alternate spelling of "disk"?

[/ QUOTE ]

I won't mock your spelling abilities, though I'm sure you deserve it. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Actually, what's the deal with your screen name? Did ya get banned on the ORC boards or something?

11. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Well, many moons ago, the people over at off-road.com told me to search the forums here for something oddball I was looking for. Well, I wanted to ask something about that obscure thing a few weeks later and I registered. Somebody already had wrath (which I derived from wrath.com/net/org and later ORC) so I couldn't use it. I didn't want to use my IRC nick of four years (CyberSniper) so I threw something together on the spot. I never intended to stick around CK5. If curiosity killed the cat, satisfaction brought him back. I'd really like to use the username CyberSniper, which is probably what I'd switch to if I were to pay (still contemplating) to be a member.

The only thing I've ever been banned from is FullSizeChevy and idontcareaboutair.com