Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

10 Bolt Rear Durability????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by AK-5GUY, Nov 29, 2002.

1. AK-5GUY

AK-5GUY Registered Member

I just bought an 87 K-5 with the 28 spline 10 bolts front and rear. It is completley stock right now but I would like to get a lift and some bigger tires. How big can I go with the 10 bolt rear?? What will it hold up to during moderate four wheeling like mud pits and some minor rock crawling? Also, what gears should I get for those 10 bolts with the 700R4 transmission for those tires. Thanks alot. Harrison

2. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

Save yourself the money and trouble and upgrade to 3/4 ton stuff from the beginning. You should be able to find a 4.11-geared 14 bolt rear and a matching 10B or D44 front for around 500 bucks.

3. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Procrastinaion is like masturbation; it seems like a good idea at the time, but in the end you're really only f*cking yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

I ran 33s on my 2.73 10 bolts for not quite two months and the spiders in the back blew last week. They became shrapnel when I had 235s on it.

If you drive like a girl you might get your rear ten bolt to last. I used to be an advocate of ten bolts. I'll still be one for the front but they aren't worth the powder (or horsepower) to blow them up in the back.

It did hold up to 10 months or so of beating with 31x10.50s under it. 33s were too much for it.

[​IMG]

If you care to read the post I just made on ORC here it is:
    http://bbs.off-road.com/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Board=truck&amp;Number=957947&amp;page=0&amp;view=collapsed&amp;sb=5&amp;o=&amp;fpart=1

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    If you drive like a girl you might get your rear ten bolt to last.

[/ QUOTE ]

I resent that remark! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Seriously though, he's right. You want to spin big tires at high RPM's, or just generally beat on your truck, don't spend money or bet your life on a 10 bolt. They just won't hold up.

I spin my tires once in awhile, but I try and make sure I'm doing so where I have very little traction. (less load on the diff) Besides the fact I have a gov-lock, and don't feel like replacing everything if I destroy it. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

6. RedBrute

RedBrute 1/2 ton status

I also have a '87 Blazer, 10bolts front and rear, 3.08 ratio with 33's. It has 170,000 miles on it. One of the previous owners used it as a plow truck. The rear diff is loose and sloppy, axle surface at bearing worn to the point where new seals won't hold the grease in, always weeping. I offroad this, even use it to pull a trailer loaded with firewood out of the woods during cutting season. The only reason it has survived is "I DRIVE IT LIKE A GIRL". /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif There I said it /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gifI think the most important thing is to know your vehicles limitations. If you do, breakage will be kept to a minimum. I have spare front and rear axles and I also have the dreaded "Auto-Hubs" and spares for those too. Regular scheduled maintenance maintenance will keep you aware of problems also. I'm also going with 1 ton driveline next spring so I can drive like a man when the conditions require it. Bottom line, know your weak links and drive accordingly.

7. RedBrute

RedBrute 1/2 ton status

Oh and fill out your profile with as much info as possible. Most folks here like to see what you got so the responses are more accurate. Also, the "ProfileHunter" will get you if you don't. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

8. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Wasnt it DesertDueler that was hill climbing on 35s and sheared off the pinion causing him to roll several times.

He walked away and lived to tell about it. Someone posted..."10 bolts can kill". /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

9. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

my 10 bolt blew, only because it was old and sloppy and i had big tires on it, 33x12.50's and im sure the way i drove it didnt help. stilll it really depends on who drove it and how your going to drive it, that will tell you how it will last. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif. by the way i found a 12 bolt for free, that is the only reason i kept it 1\2 ton /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

10. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I blew my 12 bolt backing out of a parking space...shrapnel right through the cover. I for one would not consider a 12 bolt to be any significant upgrade over a 10 bolt.

Rene

11. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

Stock Gov-Locks give up like a swapmeet watch /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif Go with an aftermarket lmtd slip and call it good.
    Jim

12. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

yea gov locs do suck, the 12 bolt is an open diff, i might put in a locker or limited slip some time down the road. I cant complain since i got it for free with a extra parts axle (front 10 bolt) so if i ever completely snap my front axle in half, as long as i dont ****up anything really bad i have a spair axle. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif.