Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

10 bolt rear end

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jayccb1, Feb 12, 2004.

1. jayccb1

jayccb1 Registered Member

I had someone tell me that an eaton 10 bolt rearend was stronger than the stock. I've never heard of the eaton. Does anybody have any info?

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

When talking about an Eaton axle, most people are referring to the rear axle used in the back of 3/4 ton (?) and 1 ton GM trucks before 1973 (which, after that year, were replaced with the 14 bolt). If I recall correctly, the Eaton rears did in fact have 10 bolts holding the cover on. They are not as easy to find (or find parts for) as the 14 bolt...thus making them less desireable of a rear axle for a swap.

P.S. Where are you located in Wisconsin?

3. jayccb1

jayccb1 Registered Member

Racine, I believe they were saying the gute inside the 10 bolt were eaton. It was supposed to make the 10 bolt better.

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Eaton also makes the Gov-locs that go inside 10 bolts. In the 70's and 80's they were weak. Considerably stronger now but hardly anyone will use them anyway.

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i know that the '73 model year 1/2 ton and cars were still getting the good strong true clutch pack posi/limited slip G80 units

also ther eis a rumor that the old h052 and h072 carriers will work in 14 bolt FF housings, i dont know how much truth there is to this still yet