Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

10 bolt rear fluid and Gov Loc additive

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Foy, Mar 31, 2004.

1. Foy

Foy Registered Member

Guys-
    I've got a definite gear whine from the rear 10 bolt in my stock 1990 K1500 Burban. Can't complain, she's got 186,000 miles on the original running gear and 350. It's been a couple of years and about 20,000 miles since the rear diff fluid was changed out, so I thought I'd do a change to see if she quiets down some, and if she doesn't, put a swap out in her future.

Any recommendations on rear gear fluid for an in-town daily driver, not wheeled, no towing? Would something other than the standard be right for the high milage rear gear? What about the additive for the Gov Lock?

Thanks for any help,

Cooper

2. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

It's been covered before, and researched, do not use any additives in a Gov-Loc'd diff. Your gear "whine" is most likely a bearing problem, and will only get worse if it just started not long ago, take it easy and try to repair or replace that rear asap.