Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

10 bolt rear on k5

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by blazindorito, Nov 29, 2003.

1. blazindorito

blazindorito 1/2 ton status

I went 4 bying this weekend in my 83 k5 2500. The blazer was doing great all morning. The last hill was 200 yards up about 150 yards up my differential broke. The tires came off had 2 get a tow truck, To get me out. I don't know why this happened. Does anyone have an idea and what should I go with next? I'd appreciate any help. Thanks in advance. I dont have a lot of money. What would be my best bet so this doesn't happen again. Paid an $800 dollar tow.

2. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

First welcome to CK5 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Second your tires came off because the axle is a semifloating type meaning the tires and axles are held in by c-clips. If these or the axle break your tires fall off.
    As far as axle upgrades you can go with a 12 bolt (not much stronger) 14Bsemi floater (strong axle, but same thing can still happen) or the 14B full floater (strongest and cheapest) That is what the majority of people here run and are going to tell you to run. They can be found pretty cheap and are a easy swap just need a u-joint /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Only downside is you have to run 8-lug wheels which means you should probably change your front axle to 8 lug so you don't have to carry two spares
    Ohh by the way please fill out your profile so we know where you are and what you have thanks

3. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Does anyone have an idea and what should I go with next?

[/ QUOTE ]

Swap in a Corporate 14 bolt full floater and an 8-lug front axle. You will not break the 14BFF. $800 would have bought 2 axles and 4 8-lug rims. There is a ton of info about axle swaps on this site, just do a search for "axle swap" or "14BFF" and you will find more than you can read. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

FYI, 10 bolts are notoriously weak, there have been many stories on CK5 about grenaded 10 bolts. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

4. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    I went 4 bying this weekend in my 83 k5 2500. The tires came off had 2 get a tow truck, To get me out.

[/ QUOTE ]

83K5 2500? Do you mean 83K5 K-10? 2500 is the late model 3/4 ton number, just curious. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    Do you have any pics? I would find a 14BFF which is industructable basically or a 14BSF 6 lugger that you would probably never break.

5. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

agreed..like the others said..swap in a 14 bolt full floater and forget about it! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Or at least carry spare shafts and go easier on the skinny pedal....

7. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

sounds like shafts broke, and that you need a full floating axle for how you are running the rig

2500 is gmc truck since way back in '60's or even before.

2500 is also later chevy 3/4 ton also nowadays

8. ducttape114

ducttape114 1/2 ton status

i agree, 14ff is the way to go. and welcome to CK5!!

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Paid an $800 dollar tow.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did the tow truck driver at least give ya a 'reach around'? Dinner first? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Rene

10. blazindorito

For the $800 dollars i wish he would've kissed me. HE just F***ed me. Thank you for your replies. I will swap the 10 bolt for the 14bolt ff. What kind of truck should I be looking for?

11. blazindorito

I am not sure if it is a K5 or K10. The sign on the side of the blazer says K5 but I also think it is a K10. I'm not quite sure. Pictures I'll post the ones of the truck w/ broken axles.

12. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

blazers are k5's trucks are k10's

13. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Find a 1973-1987 3/4 ton GM truck, 2wd or 4wd, it will be the same, also check for 1973-1991 3/4 ton subs, make sure it is a fullfloat design, there are some light duty 3/4 tons runnin around. A 14BFF will have a hub with 8 bolts for the axleshaft plus 8 studs for the wheel. There is not much of a difference in the axle itself other than gov-locks/open carrier, brake drum size, and shock location. A 3/4 ton will literally bolt on using 3/4 ton u-bolts and 3/4 ton plates. I snagged a set of axles (D44/14FF) off a parts truck 2 years ago for $200. It was the best mod I have ever made. Just watch for gear ratio, and if you want to add a locker downt the line get an open carrier cause a detriot drops in it.
    Good luck