Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

10 bolt rearend problem i think . need help please * update*

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by scrappyk5, Apr 24, 2003.

1. scrappyk5

scrappyk5 1/2 ton status

well this morning it sounds like my rear is making this
    clanking tanging noise when driving at slow speeds, like
    a clattering clanking . it started getting worse , then
    all of a sudden it felt like i was dragging a dead whale behind my truck , serious lagging. i was trying to get her home and she just seem to start bogging down when i would be climbing hills. i could punch it and get more speed but not anywhere where it should be. well i got home and pulled the diff cover and all seems to look ok unless i am missing something. all the spiders look good and so does the ring and pinion. my u joint looks tired but its not loose , so i dont think that is the problem . i cant really see if its the clutch pack. ( its a govlok by the way ). anybody have
    any ideas? . i dont want to pull the rear out if its not the problem. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Re: 10 bolt rearend problem i think . need help please

Sounds more like your tranny. If it was your rear, you would have just blown it up.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Also, physical problems would likely cause excessive heat at the diff. A "generic" test is to see if it's too hot to hold your hand on after driving normally.

I agree with the other poster though, I doubt it would continue to work very long if something in the axle assembly is messed up. The tires spin ok when they are off the ground? Sure it's not a rear drum screwed up, or the e-brake?

4. scrappyk5

scrappyk5 1/2 ton status

well i understand what your say with the fact that if it was the rear, it would have exploded . i have never heard
    of a auto tranny actually causing your vehicle feel as if
    it was bogging down . she shifts fine , no slipping. if i am wrong please explain. the clanging noise sounds as if it is somewhere in the rear of the vehicle, so i am going to pull the wheels and hubs to see if maybe something in their
    is wrong. i am really stumped /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif.

5. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

My 10-bolt did the same things a couple years ago. It was a combination of warped rear drums, badly-adjusted rear brake shoes, and dead rear U-joints. So dead that one of the caps on the axle-end U-joint had only rust dust, small chunks, and FOUR intact needle bearings. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif I had tried to grease them a few times, but the grease ports in the cross were clogged by rust (and needle bearing chunks) at the cap ends.

6. monte0172

monte0172 1/2 ton status

Check your axle bearings also but it sounds more like u joints or brakes.