Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

10 bolt sf bearings

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by gmcman7202, Mar 1, 2006.

1. gmcman7202

gmcman7202 1/2 ton status

ok i just tore apart the rear end on my 1999 tahoe with 100k on it. the oil seal was spewing. i decided to replace the bearings, oil seal, and all the brake components. when i got the bearing out, after a huge ordeal on the first one, and i do have a shide hammer. i saw the top part of the race, that comes in contact with the housing was pitted and from the looks of it it was do to heat. the bearings look fine. there was fluid in the whole deal. was jsut changed within the last year. i am thinking the fluid leaked far enough where it would caus it to become pitted like that. as i am not sure as how long it has been leaking, as i am not the dd, just know the breaks now suck.

i am asking if the pitting on the race is normal. does this happen often? how else could it of been caused. thanks guys

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I've never seen a race pitted on the outside. On SF axles, it's usually the polished part of the axle shaft that starts to pit, as it is the inner race.

3. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Wait, the housing, where the axle bearing in pressed into is pitted?!?!?! That doesnt make sense. Do you mean the axle where the bearing rides is pitted?

4. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

gm made a ff 10 bolt?

does there need to be a distinction?

5. gmcman7202

gmcman7202 1/2 ton status

ok guys its on the outside of the race, not where the bearings ride, so its also on the housing where the race is pressed into. but only on the upper part of the housing.