Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

10 bolt specs *a little help here?*

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BigOrange90Jimmy, Nov 24, 2002.

1. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I've got a 30 spline carrier from my front axle. I've forgotten if it will work as a rear carrier. A guy wants to buy it to replace his 28 spline carrier. the last owner of his axle, from what i can decipher, put 12b shafts in his 10b housing and carrier, somehow. he wants to know if the 12b shafts will fit in the 30 spl. carrier i have. a quote from him: "all i know is . i have 30 spline axles that measure 1.28" @ the splines . the guy that had it before me bored out the carrier so they would fit i guess. the spiders are correct or it wouldn't have worked. ireally think they are 10b 30splines but sure." let me know what you think.

2. BigOrange90Jimmy

Re: 10 bolt specs

ttt

3. BigOrange90Jimmy

i guess it's just the fact that no one likes me anymore... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

4. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Oh, no...we still like you. We just have no freaking clue /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif (At least I don't. I'd make an educated guess, but would rather leave it to someone who knows something about the topic at hand /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

5. BigOrange90Jimmy

haha, thanks bud. that's why i came here cuz no one in my area is smart enough to know these things. of course they might though, cuz they're the ones brave enough to drive with front lift blocks and 44's on 10 bolts.

6. thebigdaddyof2

thebigdaddyof2 1/2 ton status

I'm not sure about the swapping back and forth of 10 and 12 bolt parts but I know this:
    the 30 spline, 10b carrier is less desirable than the 28 spline.
    Now, before you and everyone else that reads this thinks I'm crazy, I have a proof.

I just finished rebuilding another CK5 member's 1990 10 bolt rear- 30 spline. What happened was the left side of the carrier (where the bearing presses on) sheared off and let the ring and pinion just destroy themselves. After gutting the housing of all the 30 spline parts, I replaced the ring, pinion, carrier and axle shafts all with parts from a 1986, 28 spline setup. The wheel bearings and axle seals are identical. Fortunately for him, it worked out great. This will get him by until a 14BFF goes in.

When GM tried to alleviate the failure prone 28 spline axle shafts, they simply bored out the hole in the carrier and removed precious material from an already weak carrier. This moved the weakest link from the axle shaft to the carrier.

In my opinion, it's better to have the axle shaft snap and destroy only itself than to have the carrier fail and destoy the ring and pinion as well.

Of course, any damage of this sort at highway speeds is deadly. I guess that's why I will never rely on a semi-floater. If you need a set of 10 bolt 30 spline shafts, they are free of charge. Good luck to ya though.

7. BigOrange90Jimmy

Thanks bud. I could have sworn I read somewhere that the 30 spline carrier was junk, but I couldn't find where it was. This'll be good info for this guy that's wanting to buy it.

8. thebigdaddyof2

thebigdaddyof2 1/2 ton status

Yep, I know it sounds odd....everyone desires the higher spline count axle shafts,
    but in this case.......NOT!