Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

10 bolt spider gear welding?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TruckNutzDude, Mar 31, 2003.

1. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

I know it might sound crazy to do this, but I want to weld up the spider gears on my 10 bolt front and rear ends. I have a 1990 Blazer with no lift and 32" tires. The truck is my daily driver and I wheel mostly in mud or on dirt trails (no rocks... yet). What kind of problems might I run into and what kind of breakage can I expect? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. hoosierk3500

hoosierk3500 Registered Member

Don't think I would do it to a daily driver.The difference in traction would be great,but the tire wear and funky handling would offset the pros IMO.Might try doing a search on this subject I'm sure you'll find better opinions than mine there.Jason84k3500 /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif85k2500 /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

3. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

Definately dont do the front. it will break instantaneously.
    I welded my 10 bolt rear up in my 95 and its lasted a week so far, so i think itll be alright. it chirps in the corners but not to seriously.

4. k5king

k5king 1/2 ton status

<font color="purple"> ahhhh,,the ole home made locker. i did this about 4 year's ago,,used my stick welder so it got nice and hot and melted everything together really well... it spit it out about 4 days later. nothnig was left inside the housing but itty bitty pieces.there's just way to much torque up there to be messing with it like that. if you go down the road, and you get into a little bit of dry stuff,,and one tire is inflated lower than the other,,or they are slightly mixed sizes or brands, it will rip the center section to pieces or worse, blow the housing apart and possibly ruin your truck,,,and you.

spent the extra money to put in a locker. it's so much safer,especially on the highway. if you never saw asphault, then maybe i'd think about it. </font>
    just my .02-3/4 cent's

5. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Actually it would be fine with the front because you can unlock the hubs to drive around town. The reason a limited slip is a better idea is because when you wheeling the limited slip will, well slip and give a litle, as compared to a weleded front where it wont give at all and other parts, such as u joints, are going to start breaking.

6. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Please please do not weld anything less than a 14b ff. After I did my 14b and went for a drive, It was pretty scary to hear the chrping and scarping of the tires...HUGE amounts of stress on the axle shafts. But the 14b shafts are excessively strong and can handle it. Man...to weld a 10 bolt..I would be scared it would blow apart within a day...i would strongly advise against it dude...If a shaft does let go...You'll know it...That tire and axle are gonna part ways with the truck. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

7. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

What was I thinking!!! Thanks for knocking some sense into me fellas... Where can I get a locker (or limited slip)cheap? Maybe somebody is selling one used? /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif