Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

10 bolt spider gears

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mudman83, Apr 9, 2005.

1. mudman83

mudman83 1/2 ton status Premium Member

10 bolt spider gears please help

I was hearing a lound thump and jerk every once in a while, when driving my k5. I took off the driveshaft and spun the pinion yoke and noticed a lot of slop. I open the diff cover and saw there was quite a bit of slop between the spider gears. Is this normal and is there a way to shim or a cheap fix for it? Could this cause the jerk and loud thump? It isnt my slip yoke because that is pretty tight.
    Thanks,
    Kyle

Last edited: Apr 9, 2005
  2. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

how much slop ? have gov-lok in it ?

i see quite a bit of slop in most all rearends, it varies though,

the eaton axle under the 71 dually has enough slop in it to let the truck roll back or forth around 3 or 4" before catching inside the diff,

some are liek that, and others are tighter, you just never know,

if its not making noise under accleration or coasting, and gears look ok and not chafed up or scored or anything and no metal in the diff, then id say its fine

it just depends,

hard to say without actually seeing it,

sounds like maybe your driveline has a bind somewhere ?

whats specs on the rig ? lift ? driveline angles ? etc ?

good luck

3. mudman83

it is all stock except for 32 inch tires. It will usually do it on acceleration sometimes when i stop. It is also an open diff no gov lock or posi.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2005
  4. mudman83

I just took a closer look and noticed that some of the teeth on the gears also have small chips on them. There is a little bit of metal dust in the old oil, but not much. It sould usualy thump while accelerating to first or when it actually shifts. It only started doing it after i went wheeling last weekend. I did bottom out on my transfer case a few times but there didn't seem to be any visible damage to that. Then i started hearing the thump that sounded like it was coming from the rear end.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

From my experience its the thrust washers under the gears that wear. Last I priced a pinion/side gear set it was something like $80 or more, you can buy used 10 bolts for that kind of money.

Typically see wear like that on open diffs, since people like to peel out and think it's impressive with one wheel. It's just easy. :)

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The "thump and jerk" as you first take off is usually caused by worn splines in the slip joint of the driveshaft. They bind, then suddenly release as the pinion gear tries to climb the ring gear, forcing the length of the driveshaft to chage.

7. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

The spider gears are chipped or the ring gear?

If the spider gears in the 10 bolt are that messed up I would look into replacing them ASAP. Either with another set of spiders or a drop in locker if that is a direction you want to go.

10 bolt spider gears are notoriously weak so if yours are messed up that bad it is definilty time to replace them.

Harley

8. mudman83

Ok, i will just replace the spider gears until my 14 bolt is ready to on. I will also rebuild my t case or just get a 241 so i know that is not causing the sound. THanks for your advice
    Kyle

9. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

To be totally honest with you there is only 2 reasons to replace a NP208 with an NP 241.

#1. Your 208 is wasted and you can get a 241 cheap.
    #2. You have a huge amount of flex and you need to do an SYE kit to get a driveshaft to handle that flex.

I have a decent amount of rear flex and I have no problems with it sofar. 208's are easy to rebuild and you can pick them up all over, alot of times for cheap. I just got one for $50 and it seems to be in good working order.

Harley