Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

10 bolt Strong enough?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by snowtoy, Mar 18, 2001.

1. snowtoy

snowtoy Registered Member

I have a blazer with 6.2 diesel, 350 auto, NP 203 part time, 4 inch lift and I have 33x12.5-15 tires on standard open 10 bolt front and rear, and i wish to install Detroit Truetrac in both, I use my Blazer on the highway, on snow and sometimes light offroad. So the question is the 10 bolt strong enough? and if they are, can I go for 35 inch tires without trouble?
    Rune Rydningen, Norway

2. Lpasotx

Lpasotx Registered Member

i just finished towing a friend to his house when i came home and read your post DO NOT put any money into your 10 bolt my friend was runing 35 bfg's and a spool in the rear and snaped his axle shaft like a tooth pick and trust me after putting in 500 dollars for a detroit or 350 for a true trac you'll be very upset having some one tow you home cuz your axle was weak get a 12bolt or 14 if you can find it a 12 is only slightly stronger but it is stronger 10 bolt is the weakest axle chevy makes hope i helped

3. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

Lock the front 10bolt, and replace the rear. You can put alot of money in the rear 10bolt and it will be stronger, but you should replace it. http://www.blazen91.coloradok5.com
    Protect the land FOR the people
    Not FROM the people

4. white_knight

white_knight 1/2 ton status

10 bolt with 33's and light off roading shouldn't be too bad.
    An easylocker is probably the best way to go.
    If you're able to you should upgrade to a 12 bolt though.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.whiteknight.scriptmania.com/>http://www.whiteknight.scriptma
    nia.com
    </A>

5. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I ran a rear 10-bolt with a Tru-Trac, 30-spline axles, and 4.10 gears for three years on the trail without any problems.....about 2 years with 33x12.50's and a year with 35x12.50's. The Blazer ran some fairly tough trails and has suffered from a couple of broken front axle u-joints, broken body mounts, and a broken front spring shackle bolt in the last year, just to give you an idea of what it goes through.
    The Tru-Trac will offer a good increase in strength over the stock carrier, and while you are at it, get a 30-spline unit for the rear and invest in some high quality aftermarket 30-spline axleshafts (such as those from Moser Engineering). The 30-spline shafts for a 10-bolt are the same size as the 12-bolt shafts, and the Moser versions should hold up without much of a problem.
    All in all, if you don't plan on going bigger than 35's and only do light off-roading I think you should be fine with a properly modified 10-bolt.

6. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

Hei. Enda en nordmann!!!

If you do most driving around town + a litle dirt-roads it will be fine. Just dont go jumping upp hills or doing burnouts (yeah right) and you will be fine. [​IMG]
    I have 7" of lift and 35" 12,5 15 Bfg's mud's and plan on driving it till the 10 bolt breaks. Meanwhile I am looking for a junk k30 or a Van with a 12/14 bolts to have as a back upp.

Welcome aboard and see my truck at:

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.espen88k5.coloradok5.com>http://www.espen88k5.coloradok5.com</A>

7. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Yes, a spool in a 10 bolt is bad news!! A spool will stress any axle, let alone a small 10 bolt...a Truetrac would not stress your 10 bolt anywhere near a spool would. I ran an Auburn LSD in my rear 10 bolt with 35" BFGs for 4 years without any problems with axles. And I did some pretty good wheeling with it, too. Now, I will say that I did recently replace my rear 10 bolt with a 14 bolt FF and stuffed a Detroit in it. The 10 bolt will only last so long (mine never broke, just wanted to bulletproof) with a heavy throttle foot and large tires. If you learn the proper way to drive and take things easy and controlled, you should be fine with a 10 bolt for mild wheeling and highway driving, especially with just a limited slip Truetrac...but, if you plan on ever wheeling harder, maybe think about spending the money on something stronger in the back...leave the front there, it will be fine...I have an ARb in the front and have had no problems...

8. kenbrown

kenbrown Registered Member

throw it away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!