Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

10 bolt swapping

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84k5, Jan 27, 2004.

1. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

I am thinking of buying a pair of 10 bolts and swapping them in place of mine in order to gain some gearing (4.56 v. 3.73).

However, I just got the brakes done at a shop, so I want to pull them off my current 10 bolts and put them on the 4.56 units. The front looks like cake...what about the rear?

Also...how much do these weigh? I need to get them in/out of the truck and I don't have a hoist or anything.

TIA

2. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

they don't weigh much. not after moving around a d60.

you can do it with another person.

3. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

I can't help you with the brakes, but I don't think it'll be too hard. As far as moving them, getting them in will be a challenge, but I unloaded a dana 60 and 14FF by myself out of the back of my truck about a week ago. It wasn't very easy, but I got them out. Heavy as all get out!

Kris

4. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

drums will swap right over without loosening a line or breaking them down.... same with the front, leave the brakes alone swap hubs rotors etc over!

Did the same with my rear brakes when I swapped to my 12 bolt rear, same brakes /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

u can swap ur new brakes right over, same axle, just swap ur pads/roters/drums, and calipers if there better or new..

6. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Better yet, just unbolt the entire backing plate with everything attached and then re-bolt it to the new axle. The only thing you would then have to do is remove the axleshafts to do that.

Either way, it should take about 45 minutes to do the rear and 30-45 to do the front.

John

7. 88jimmy4x4

88jimmy4x4 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I unloaded a dana 60 and 14FF by myself out of the back of my truck about a week ago. It wasn't very easy, but I got them out. Heavy as all get out!

Kris

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

note to self: dont mess with Kris /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

8. k5 krawler 50

k5 krawler 50 1/2 ton status

Little of topic about the swapping, but related to 10 bolts...
    I have 10 bolts too, and since i dont have enough money to buy and rebuild d60 and 14ff do you guys think that these little half ton axles will handle 35s? I also just put in a pretty beefed up small block so what do u guys think?