Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

10 bolt tie rod on D44?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BillyBob, Jul 3, 2002.

1. BillyBob

BillyBob 1/2 ton status

I'm just wondering if it'll work.. cuz I have a parts 10 bolt laying around my yard.. but I wanna make sure I can swap it over before I take it off

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

There are 4 different types of tie rods used on all the GM front axles.

1 type is the 'first design' from '73 to '76. These have a slight curve on the joint ends. They fit on the top of the knuckle ends where they bolt into. These are curved to clear the front springs.

1 type is the 'second design' which fits '77 to '80 and is a straight tie rod which will bolt in the knuckle from the bottom.

1 type is also the 'second design' but for '81 to '91 because they have a long adjusting sleeve and use the short rod ends. These will also bolt in from the bottom.

1 type is the 1 ton Dana 60 which is shorter than all the above mentioned rods. It looks very much like the '77-'80 rods though. These rods bolt in from the top of the knuckles.

Now for your question...what year is your D44?

3. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color="blue">74

4. thatK30guy

No, you cannot use a 10 bolt tie rod on a '74 D44 because the springs will hit the tie rod. They will sit right on top of the tie rod and when you compress the springs, they will bang on the top of the rod, too.

You CAN use the 10 bolt tie rod, IF, you were to get the ORD zero-rates to raise the front springs up 1 inch to clear the 10 bolt tie rod. This is the preferred method. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

BTW, if you have an aftermarket lift kit, of 4" or more front springs, they should clear the 10 bolt tie rod with a little room to spare.

The best thing to do is to go ahead and put it on and see how much room you have. I would recommend at least 1" of space between the bottoms of the springs and the top of the tie rod, so that they don't make contact under full compression of the suspension.

5. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color="blue">He's got 4" TC's. The taper in the tie rod end is the same, right?

6. thatK30guy

I can't remember now about the taper. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

Since he does have 4" lift, a straight tie rod will fit and clear the bottoms of the springs easily now.

I need to check into the tapers, though.

7. thatK30guy

The more I thought about this, the more I remembered that quite a few people are using these 'first design' knuckles for the flat top passenger side for cross over steering.

And when they do use this type of set up, I have remembered seeing/reading about them getting new tie rods like from Rock Stomper. These would be using the same ends as on the newer trucks.

8. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Im glad this came up.....this is one of those things I have been wondering since I am getting ready to swap a 44 into my 86, and I need to use the tie rod from the 10. I just keep forgetting to post about it. /forums/images/icons/blush.gif