Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

10 bolt to 12 bolt swap.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by archer, Oct 27, 2000.

1. archer

archer 1/2 ton status

I have a corporate 10 bolt front end in my Blazer now, but have a 12 bolt front end I can swap in. Is it worth the trouble? Does this 12 bolt have better axles,carrier etc? I know my 10 bolt has 28 spline, Lame-o axles in it. I've never torn a 12 bolt front apart & I have no idea what it came in originally either. It just seems that something's got to be better in it.

"who dares wins"

2. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

There was a post about this before and I think that there was never a 12 bolt front. The name really comes from the number of bolts that hold the ring gear to the carrier and the it happens that most Chevys have the same number on the diff cover. Its probably something else. The only front axles that Chevy used were Dana 44, 10 bolt, Dana 60 on 1 ton. If its equal in stringth to a 10 bolt or even just a little moer it wonldn't be worth it IMHO. I hope this helps

90K5

3. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

Yep, it's probably a Dana 44, no such animal as a 12 bolt front. The dana 44 is only marginally stronger than a 10 bolt and isn't worth the swap unless you're just trying to cheaply replace a broken axle or change gears and not upgrade the strength. Some Dana 44's(older closed knuckle) would actually be a downgrade in strength. Go for a Dana 60.

4. archer

archer 1/2 ton status

Cool, thanks alot guys. I guess I'll stick with what I have for now, seeing as I just made it completely new from side to side. I beleive this is a Dana 44 now. I love this web-site.

"who dares wins"