Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

10 bolt to 12 bolt?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 87sm465np208, Sep 14, 2002.

1. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

how can you swap a 12 bolt in a truck that has a 10 bolt rear end?, im really curious, and where could i get a 12 bolt for a shortbed chevy 1\2 ton 4x4 truck? and how much would it cost to swap approx? thanks guys.

2. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

shouldnt be to hard. there are alot of them for sale on this site, or you could pick one up at a salvage yard. im guessing around 100.00 to 200.00 bucks for the unit. plus new ubolts etc. youll have to make sure its the same gearing. other things to check are shock mounts, etc are the same as on yours. sorry not much else help.

3. 87sm465np208

hey man, yea its cool, when i have to go and get one, i will probly either get another 10 bolt /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif or find me a 6 lug 3.73 12 bolt possibly with a c-clip locker, because i love my locker in my 10 bolt as far as off-roading goes, ive never had a locker, and i find it to be fun to have, because when i off-road i dont really have to put it in 4 HI or 4 LO, unless i get stuck or if im gunna decend a really steep incline then i put it in 4 low and in granny and crep down. but as for my 10 bolt im just gunna try and baby it for now. i dont try to pull holeshots on the street with it, only in granny on the street is when i spin the tires alittle bit. but i try not to do that. but yea thanks for the numbers, i think the 1 salvage yard i called wanted 250 for a 12 bolt. but thanks.

4. Mreetz

Mreetz 1/2 ton status

I kept my eyes open for someone wantin to get rid of their project, or old project. Found a guy here that wanted to get rid of an old 79 jimmy that he had put a 12 bolt under and recently stuck in 4.11s. We towed it over to my house I had the axles off that day and had the rear replaced! Took me another 4 hours to do the front and this was all by myself. Just keep your eyes open, there are deals out there waitin to be had!!
    Marty--

5. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

How excally is it done? Just pull the old one out and put the new one in with new U bolts or do u even need new u bolts and is there anything else you need?

6. Ck1500

Ck1500 1/2 ton status

why not go for a 14 bolt???? there alot stronger, then a 10 and 12 bolt, but hey if you already got a 12 bolt go for it, i am just trying to help ya skip that middle jump and just go for the gusto, and not to mention the locker is like 300 for a 14 bolt /forums/images/icons/smile.gif kinda nice if you ask me. but thats just my opinion .

Ck1500

7. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

So does anyone know what else is needed besides U bolts?

8. 87sm465np208

yea you know id love to do a 14 bolt, i really would, about how much are they at a junk yard, but heres the deal, id need to pickup a dana 44 3\4 ton axle which would piss me off after a while finding it, id need to find a truck, i know of one, and id love to see if they want to sell it, because it has what i want 1 ton axles, but i dont have alot of space to work with and the neighbors wouldnt be to fond of it, it is just a bunch of bull [censored], and i dont wheel it that hard that i would need a real HD axle, yet i mean if i blew the 10 bolt, which would piss me off but oh well, id get a 12 bolt or another 10 bolt to replace it because it is my every day driver, and my front axle is good anough for me, so that is what i would do is slap in a 12 bolt if i could find one with 3.73's and if i could, a locker, or another 10 bolt which would be a bad idea, but i already have parts i could use off of this one to another 10 bolt, so i really dont know, but all i can say to every one who wants to do somthing like this, is do what you feel you have to do to be happy. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

9. Ck1500

Ck1500 1/2 ton status

hey man i was just thinking of the way my luck is, cuz if i did the upgrade from a 10 to a 12 rear i would still prolly grenade the 12 , just cuz i like to be a little heavy on the skinny pedal /forums/images/icons/smile.gif . that and a 14 bolt around here is like 175$ which in my eyes is a darn good price cuz its normally already do a 3.73 or a 4.10 gear already in it /forums/images/icons/smile.gif and larger drums to stop better, just my opinion though . good luck to ya

Ck1500

10. ChevBlazin

ChevBlazin 1/2 ton status

Damn that was one long sentence! lol. I just did the 10 to 12 bolt swap in my 86 K5. you need new u bolts, a conversion u-joint (the 12 bolt has a smaller yoke than the 10), and then possibly new seals, bearings, ect depending on the condition of the axle. I bought the 12 bolt and matching front 10 bolt with 3.73's from a 79 at a local salvage yard for $300. I used the brakes off my stock axles. It took a good day of work for each axle for me but it was my first time doing it. good luck if you try it. In retrospect I think I would still like to look for a D60 and 14FF setup with 4.10's. Some day /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

11. mitymouse

mitymouse Registered Member

I recently had to do the 12 bolt coversion also after nukin the 10, I found an entire set up from a truck in a farmers field cost me $40.00 for frount and rear,I was lookin for 14's but I didnt have the extra money to buy diffrent rims at that time, I replaced the seals the bearings where good and since my 10 bolt had all new brake hardware I removed the backing plates and all, I also figured that would make ordering brake parts in the future more simplified since it is still stock for my truck.

12. mitymouse

I forgot to mention that if you pull the pinion yoke of the 10 bolt and install on the 12 you can use the stock u joint.
    I still have not done the frount end maybe someone here can give me a heads up before I start it.
    I think I had a Total of around $125.00 dollors in this counting frount and rears salvage yards around here are way over priced.........Hope this helps

13. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

dont get a 12 bolt go 14.they are much stronger than the other axles.the 12 bolt isnt much stronger than the 10 bolt even.it does have a larger ring gear though and a think slightly bigger axle shafts.it is still semifloating and i dont like the idea that i could lose a axle and wheel out of the axle tube if the c clip lets loose.

14. mitymouse

the 12 bolts ring gear is bigger and there is alot of diffrence in the axel size the 12 does not taper down, I also am not a c clip fan thats my I went with the c clip eliminators. By no means am I saying they are any better then the 14's I wish I could have gotten 14's for what I got in these is all.

15. chulisohombre

if you already spent alot of money then dont worry about changing axles till something goes on it.like i said my prefference is to not build something that "might last",as in the 12 bolt.i just went strait for the bigun and got the 14 bff.

16. mitymouse

I would like to do the 14 myself does anyone have a step by step conversion receipe and what are the best thing to find em in, is it a realitive bolt in install?, The 12 was so easy it stank................ Thanks
    BILL

17. chulisohombre

from what ive seen you look for 3/4 ton pickups from 73 to 86 to find a mostly bolt in setup for those years of blazers.on mine i have to change the shock mounting but the spring perches are the same width.im also doing the disk brake conversion so i should haver an awesome setup in a couple of weeks.just waiting for all the parts to arrive.

18. 87sm465np208

im really thinking about doing this, iff i cant find a 10 bolt with 3.73's.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

19. chulisohombre

when i get my 14b under i will be selling my 12 bolt with 3.73.it has a imited slip with new spring pack and only 80,000 original miles.i had some axlewrap so i replaced the spring perches with heavy duty ones.the seals are still good and i also replaced the brake cylander seals and pads not too long ago.hopefully by next month i'll be selling it.

20. ColAdo82K5

ColAdo82K5 1/2 ton status

so you are saying that you can bolt on everything from the backing plates out ward from a 10 bolt to a 12 bolt ? Using "stock" drums and pads and e-park cables ?
    Tell me more on that one.
    Blake