Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

10 bolt to 14 bolt and front axle

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Tshane, Dec 3, 2002.

1. Tshane

Tshane 1/2 ton status

Okay i have 2 questions guys hopefully someone can help!!

I'm about ready to do somethign to my axle and everyone i have talked to says a 10 bolt wont hold up to a 383 power. Meaning i'm going to have to go a 14 bolt what kind of modifcation and work will this take to make this work?? What parts will i have to be change or replaced??

My other question is what should i do about the front 10 bolt axle??? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

A 14bolt from a 73-80 2wd or 4wd 3/4ton pickup will bolt right in. You will need a conversion ujoint since your driveshaft is 1310 and the axle is 1350. NAPA sells these.

What to do about the 10 bolt - not much can be done. You can buy alloy shafts. You can buy CTM ujoints. You can either tyr to take it easy and not kill the axle or upgrade to a Dana 60.
    -- Mike

3. K5Dan

K5Dan 1/2 ton status

now your talkin' /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I bought a set of 3/4 ton axles from a wrecked 3/4 ton pick-up. [​IMG] The rear is a 14 Bolt FF and the front is a Dana 44. They are 8 lug axles, so I'm going to have to buy rims. I went with the 3/4 ton becouse I coundn't find a Dana 60 for under $1,000.00 and I got both these axles with matching gears for $250.00 . Granted, I didn't gain anything in the front, but I don't have to pay for new gears, or for the 8 lug outers now. Befor you go swapping axles, you need to decide on what size tires you're going to run, and see if you can find axles with gears in them that won't be to high that they kill you're transmission !!!!!!!!!

5. 85HeartBurb

85HeartBurb 1/2 ton status

348 is the napa part # i used for the convertion!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

6. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

You going with a 14FF or 14SF?