Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

10 Bolt to Dana 44 ????????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 85 blazer, Oct 5, 2002.

1. 85 blazer

85 blazer 1/2 ton status

I would like to know if I can use my 10 bolt knuckles on my dana 44 for they have new balljoints and tie rod ends also will the 8 bolt dana 44 spindles fit the 10 bolt knuckles anyone do this yet? Finally losing the junk 308s for some 410s will this be too low with 33" tires. I also need to buy a set of 8 bolt 15" wheels!!!

2. Great78burb

Great78burb Registered Member

I'm not 100% on this, but I think the 10 bolt knuckles will bolt to the D44. I say this because every cross over steering article I have read says to get the D44 flat top knuckle for a 10 bolt application. As for the 8 lug D44 spindles, I would get the whole axle. They were common on 3/4 ton vehicles and often had 4.10's from the factory. You can probably get one for cheaper than a gear swap. Don't forget you will have to shave the calipers to run 15in. wheels on 8 lug axles. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

OK on everything except the shaving for 15" wheels.
    You only need to shave if you have a D60.
    D44's will fit any 15" wheel, yes even the 8 lug axles, they came factory with 15" wheels.
    IceMan

4. 85 blazer

85 blazer 1/2 ton status

I guess I need to clarify a little, OK we know the 10 bolt corporate knuckles will fit the dana 44, Now will the dana44 spindles fit the 10 bolt knuckles installed on my dana 44 ???? Are you confused yet I am!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

5. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Ok guys, read the quote below to shed some light on the interchangability:

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    GM has two different types of axles: the "first design" and the "second design". For those who dont know the difference, the "first" goes from 73-76. The "second" goes from 77 to 91. Some differences are:

1. Backing plates are ALL diffferent. Both 1/2 and 3/4 ton for both designs are NOT the same thing. 3/4 tons are larger diameter than the 1/2 tons. There are currently 6 different types of backing plates. The 1/2 ton has the 73-76, 77-80, and 81-91. 3/4 ton is the same years, but only bigger around.

2. Bearing hub and rotors are different. There are 4 types. 73-76 use a smaller wheel bearing on both the 1/2 and 3/4 ton. The 1/2 ton bearing hub is an internal drive. 3/4 tons were available in both the internal and external drives. 77 and newer bearing hubs are the same size wheel bearing. 1/2 and 3/4 tons are all internal drives. The differences in the rotor diameter is the fact that the 3/4 tons are larger around than the 1/2 tons. This is why the backing plates are larger around than the 1/2 tons. If you use a 1/2 ton backing plate on a 3/4 ton rotor, the caliper will NOT even align up with the bolts. If the 1/2 ton rotor is used with the 3/4 ton backing plates, the caliper will NOT have enough pad contact with the rotor.

3. Spindles. 73-76 are one type only. They are "first design" small bearings. 1/2 and 3/4 ton spindles are interchangable. 77-91 spindles are "second design" and all interchangable between 1/2 and 3/4 tons. You cannot use a first design spindle with a second design bearing hub &amp; rotor. The hub will wobble in place. If the second design spindle is used with a first design bearing hub, the hub will not even go on at all.

4. D44 and 10B axle shafts are not interchangable. The D44 shafts measure: right - 36.13"
    left - 18.31"
    10B shafts measure: right - 35.46"
    left - 19.15"

5. Steering knuckles. D44's have the infamous "flat top" knuckles on the passenger side. These are good for the crossover steering for where the steering arm is mounted on top of the knuckle after machine work and drilling has been done. The 10B knuckles have NO flat surface whatsoever. Machine work would be excessive to make the crossover work and therefore would be easier and cheaper to locate the correct knuckle off a D44.

All in all, when doing a swap like this, try to round up the parts off one truck to use on the other. Such parts to swap over would be: backing plates, spindles, bearing hub &amp; rotors, and if desired for crossover steering, the knuckles.

The knuckles do NOT need to be changed if you do not plan on the crossover steering.

It all boils down to this: D44 and 10B parts ARE interchangable from the knuckles out. Anything else from the knuckles in is NOT interchangable.

ALL calipers on both D44 and 10B are compatible with either axle. Even the first and second design axles are compatible with BOTH 1/2 and 3/4 ton calipers. So, whatever swap you plan on doing, you can retain your stock calipers.
    When stepping up to the big D60, this is a whole different ball game. Nothing is interchangable from the D44 and 10B to the D60.

[/ QUOTE ]

6. 85 blazer

85 blazer 1/2 ton status

Thanks that really helps, no crossover conv. for me just trying to save some$$$$$$$$$$$$ my 10 bolt knuckles have new ball joints and only 1500 miles on them now that I know all my donor dana44 parts will bolt to the knuckles time to go to town,FYI The rear will be a 14bff cant wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Yuba K5

Yuba K5 Registered Member

i dont get it. i have a 10 blt. front end and i want to switch to a 8 lug pattern.should i be looking for a 3/4 ton suburban with a 10 blt so i can switch the spindles?will this work?

8. tackettb

tackettb Registered Member

Better test out your 15" wheels with your calipers on the 8 lug D44 before you get too happy, I had to shave mine. I don't think it was quite as much shaving as some have done with the D60 but it was about 1/8".