Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

10 bolt upper ball joint adjust. sleeve--HELP!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 79Silv4x4, Dec 13, 2002.

1. 79Silv4x4

79Silv4x4 Registered Member

I'm in the process of a front end overhaul and got a question. Is the adjsutment sleeve on the upper ball joint supposed to be a single piece? I assume that it is but both of mine came out in two equal halves. If it should be a one peice I will obviously need to replace it but is this a dealer only item or might I be able to pick it up at a local parts house tomorrow?

2. 74Chev

74Chev 1/2 ton status

It is supposed to be only one piece. It should have four slots on top and you will need a special four prong socket and torque wrench to adjust it properly. Follow your chiltons book EXACTLY on the procedure for torquing the ball joints and sleeve. I believe is is 30 ft lbs on the sleeve, but check you manual. Every ball joint I have ever purchased had the sleeve included. Be sure they did not give you two lowers, I have had this happen.

3. 79Silv4x4

Thanks 74Chev!! I never thought to consider that the new ball joint might come with a new sleeve. I hadn't been to the parts store yet so I was worried that I was going to be SOL on the sleeve. I don't have a Ciltons book but I do have a '79 GM manual so hopefully I will be okay.

4. 74Chev

74Chev 1/2 ton status

Yeah, the GM manual will work fine. One word of advice from a lot of experience, get the most expensive ball joints you can. They are worth it, so you are not tearing the front end apart all the time. I like the napa fleet duty joints. They outlast the cheapies by four times easy, and like I said earlier follow the torque recommendations, things will last longer and work better.

5. 79Silv4x4

What about Moog? I want to buy good stuff but NAPA is twice the price of Moog and I have heard good things about Moog....