Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

10 bolt vs. Dana 44 front

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mountainexplorer, Jan 12, 2002.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

I'm sure this has been asked many times before and answered as well, but I still havent really found out what the advantages and disadvantages of both the 10 bolt and Dana 44 are. I have grown to prefer the 44, but have heard differing opinions. Some day I'll put 2 side by side and compare everything, but til then, what are everyone's opinions? facts? etc...

2. 1bigk10

1bigk10 1/2 ton status

Look o page two of this forum i have a post there where everyone helped me out.[​IMG]

1982 K10 Silverado. [​IMG] 327 SHPE powerplant SM465/205,15"custom lift 38.5"TSL/SWAMPERS 12boltrearD44 front,3.73 gears.

3. mountainexplorer

Alright, I'll take a look. Thanks.
    Also, here is some info. that I have observed or been told.

-axle tube diameter for the 44 is larger for '76 and up
    -'75 and older have a smaller tube diameter
    -ring gear for a 10 bolt is larger in diameter than a 44 ring gear
    -of course, all outer parts (spindle, hub, rotor, backing plates) are interchangeable.

Anyone see any of this as untrue or can add to this? Thanks.

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

-ring gear for a 10 bolt is larger in diameter than a 44 ring gear

Not...both have a 8.5" ring gear. Axle strength...too close to call. Carrier strength...too close to call. Outers...identical strength and interchange. Housings...hard to say. The later D44 and the 10 bolt front may look a little different but there really isn't much difference strength wise.

The only advantage I could see is parts availabilty for the 10 bolt is probably better.

If you want superior strength in a front end get a Dana 60, comparing two half ton axles like these is an exercise in futility.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

5. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Correction: axle tube diameter changed in '77, not '76. The "second design" axles, which have the larger tubes, started in '77.

"First design" axle tubes are 2.75" diameter, '73 - '76.
    "Second design" axle tubes are 3" diameter, '77 - '91.

I'm not picking my nose...I'm just pointing at my brain!! [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy>The K30 Collection</a>

6. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

The General is known for putting stuff on years they didn't belong. I had a 76 k10 w/ stock D44 with the 2nd design axle. You really have to look for yourself.
    -- Mike

<font color=blue> Married to a woman who understands the need for <font color=orange>Hugger Orange. [​IMG] <font color=blue>

7. mountainexplorer

I thought that too until I had a 10 bolt and a 44 side by side the other day and saw the ring gear in the 10 bolt was larger than the 44. The 10 bolt is out of a '79 and the 44 out of an '80, both 3.73. Is this just a fluke or...? I have a Dana 60 in two trucks so far, the rest are 44's with the exception of two 10 bolts. I was just wanting to get some other feedback since people I deal with here in Spokane always seem to have different stories. Not that it matters a great deal to me. Thanks everyone for the replies.

8. morphed86k10

morphed86k10 1/2 ton status

the RING gear is the same outer diameter, the PINION shaft is larger on a 10 bolt.