Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

10 bolt vs. Dana 44 question.........

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MOABDADC22, Aug 27, 2003.

1. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

My K5 (86) came with 10 bolts originally, but a 44/12 was swapped in and not finished. Are the front calipers different from a 10 bolt? If so, what years came with 44/12 bolt so I can buy new calipers/pads/etc.... I would rather buy new stuff, especially when I do not know the history of the old.

Any help is appreciated. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

OhYeah....I know, I know......"save all the trouble and swap in a 60/14." Someday /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gifSomeday /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

The calipers/pads/rotors are the same between 10 bolt and D44. Everything from the knuckles out is the same. Assuming internal hubs on the D44 of course. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The only difference that I can think of is that the 10-bolt calipers used a metric banjo bolt that's just slightly smaller in diameter than the Dana 44 calipers banjo bolt.

4. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

Harry summed it up with the banjo bolt, I have a 74 d44 with 10 bolt backing plates and calipers on it so I can run the standard fitting extended brake lines

5. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

So all I need is a 10 bolt banjo fitting? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

6. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> If you use your calipers off of your old axle, or buy calipers that are meant for your old axle, then you can continue to use the brakelines that are on your truck now. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif </font>

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

It's possible that you have the calipers from the 10-bolt on there now. When doing the axle swap they could have just left the calipers attached to the truck, so they wouldn't have to bleed the brakes again. But figuring out which caliper you have might be tricky. I don't know of any visual cues other than the metric banjo bolt fitting. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

8. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

What years came with 12 bolt fronts? I didn't know they existed.... not that thats saying much for me... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

9. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    What years came with 12 bolt fronts? I didn't know they existed.... not that thats saying much for me... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

they had 12bolt fronts the same years they had 14bolt fronts.

10. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="green"> No years, they were never made. I think that when Bob says 44/12 he means 44 front 12 rear. </font>

11. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

o......
    /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

12. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    they had 12bolt fronts the same years they had 14bolt fronts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Smart /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gifss.... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif