Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

10-Bolt Weakness

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ggallin13, May 9, 2000.

1. ggallin13

ggallin13 1/2 ton status

Mar 31, 2000
    Just how weak are the stock 10-bolt axles? I am planning to go with 35s so I am going with 4.56 gears. Will the 10-bolts hold up to mild wheeling, or are they like paper?
  2. I have actually seen a ton of vehicles out there with huge tires and tiny axles. If you are gonna get groceries with it and show it off it may last with very good upkeep. I would reccomend a set of 3/4 ton axles or D44 front with 12 bolt rear.

[​IMG]<font color=red>BigBurb[​IMG]
    <font color=purple>IF YOU'RE SCARED, SAY YOU'RE SCARED !!
  3. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Feb 24, 2000
    I have been running 35's on beefed 10-bolt axles for awhile now and do some pretty serious fourwheeling. The only trouble I have had was breaking a front axle u-joint, but I'm pretty sure that was due to poor maintenance on my part. The joint was getting worn out which allowed it to "wallow" around and spit the caps out. Oh well, lesson learned.
    Generallly, you will have trouble with the rear 10-bolt first as it sees the most work and wear. The stock carrier (or differential), especially if you have the factory option Gov-Lok posi, seems to be the first to go.
    Whether or not it will last really depends on how you drive the truck......some people can break them like toothpicks, while some people never have a problem with them.