Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

10 bolt with a factory limited slip and gears?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ramjet gmc, Apr 8, 2002.

1. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

I currently have a 10 bolt with a factory limited slip 2;72 gears in if I go to 4;56 could I reuse the same factory limited slip?

2. Headbanger

Headbanger 1/2 ton status

If I remember right the carrier would have to be replaced to put 4:56 gears in, which would mean you couldn't use the same limited slip.

3. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

With the ramjet and 4.56's I wouldn't even bother to use the stock diff. Just do it once and get an after market limited slip or a locker. I think 4.56's will fit the gov loc but thats a grenade just waiting to go off.
    Jim

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Definitly spring to get a new locker or limited slip. The factory LS sucks. I blew mine up with 3.73 gears, and a stock 350. With 4.56 and a ramjet I wouldn't waste my time with the factory LS. You will just have to replace it after you get on it real hard from a stop for the first time.

P.S. if you are running 4.56's and a ramjet, you might want to carry a spare set of axle shafts too with a 10 bolt.

5. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

The ram jet will have a 14 bolt and d60
    the 10 bolt will have a 305 I am just trying to see if I can get a trail ride so I can join Wayne’s trail ride

6. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

If you take it easy with the skinny pedal the gov-lock might hold up for a while with a 305. I would still feel alot better if I knew i had something that was going to work every time, and not break when i need it. I would say if you got the $ get a real LS or locker. Some one here would sell you a open carrier for a 10 bolt for dirt cheap, and you could install a lockright, and have a much better diff. Alot stronger too. That would be the route I would take.

7. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Yeah, stock LSD sucks big time. Most places dont even bother replacing it with a stock Gov lock. I had a eaton posi put in mine, worked acutally pretty darn well. I tried it in mud, both tires spun, as its supposed to. course, using AT' and up a muddy hill in 2wd isnt usually recommended. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif (spinning both tires made the end loose sideways traction.. fun fun fun!!!! )