Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

10 bolt

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TheGeneral, May 6, 2001.

1. TheGeneral

TheGeneral 1/2 ton status

I have two 10 bolts ( I know, I know, two pieces of crap), but that is what I have to work with. One is from my 89 K5 with 30 spline axles, one is 78 sub, 28 spline. I think, but want to make sure, I can switch out the shafts, without problems. I'm doing it tomorrow, so any help would be appreciated. Any body else ever spend what must be 20 hours now, swapping front and rear axles and putting in lift. Now that I am on the 21st hour total, I am replacing bearings, seals, and u-joints. Fun Fun, especially since one is over 20 years old and I don't think it was ever done.

If you ain't hurt, you ain't playin' hard enough.

The General

2. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Not sure on the spline count thing, but if the spline count matches, it should be O.K.. In typical G.M. fashion the lengths and fit should be the same (less spline count, maybe). Keep the shafts on the same sides L to L, R to R. Shafts twist when run, and running them backwards MIGHT cause some stress fractures to develop. If the spline count is not the same your S.O.L. dude. Why are you changing shafts? Front or rear? Do the old shafts have a groove worn in or bearing surface pitted? -If they do, get rid of them now!

Twiztid

3. Hathaway

Hathaway 1/2 ton status

Whats invovled in changing spline counts? LIke say I've got a 28spline rear and want to go up to the 30spline for a bit more strength? That require all new gearing in the dif?

Dan, '86 K5, 5.0L v8, NP208, TH700R4, open 10bolts front and rear, 3.43gearing, K&N filter, 31x10.50R15 Trailhandlers

4. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Side gears in the case would need to be changed to get the correct spline count. This is possible, but if I recall- pricey. You might want to change to a lock-right or something in the process. (I would definitly double check this, 'cause I'm not a gear god, just a dude who's been in ALOT of 10-bolts)

Twiztid

5. TheGeneral

TheGeneral 1/2 ton status

twiztid,
    I am changing the front shafts and stubs and ball joints. Reason why is you can't believe how bad a shape the old ten bolt knucles and bearings are in. The rear is now a 14 ff. The reason I put the old 10 (78) in place of my 89 10 bolt is gears. The gears were replaced in the old 10 bolt about 2 years ago, and match the 14 ff. It might have been easier to just change gears, but I don't have much experience with the gear swaps. Thanks for info.

If you ain't hurt, you ain't playin' hard enough.

The General

6. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

The 28 and 30 spline shafts will NOT interchange. I believe you would have to replace the whole carrier assembly in order to go from one to the other. The reason is that the 30 spline shafts are also slightly larger in diameter, so they won't fit into the machined holes in the 28 spline carrier.

While thinking about it, I believe the side gears will swap between the carriers.....so while you can't put 30 spline shafts into the 28 spline carrier, you might be able to put the 28 spline axles in the 30 spline carrier.....of course you still have to replace the side gears for the appropriate spline count.