Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

10 bolt ??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mgaul, Jun 4, 2001.

1. mgaul

mgaul Newbie

I am putting a detroit true-trac in my front diff and need some helpful advice as to how to get the carriage out. I am told I need a diff spreader. I bet someone out there has a creative way of doing this.

2. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I didn't need a case spreader to put my Lock-Right in my 10 bolt. To remove the carrier I just used a long brass punch (because it's soft metal) to pry it out. And it actually didn't take that much prying. Maybe I just lucked out though.

3. TheGeneral

TheGeneral 1/2 ton status

I had a friend help me with two pry bars. I know of quite a few who do it this way, but don't recommend it. I have since had a spreader home made from two steel bars and broken vice screw mechanism. Works good and several uses as any spreader.

If you ain't hurt, you ain't playin' hard enough.

The General

4. Ryeguy

Ryeguy 1/2 ton status

A Detroit true-trac replaces the carrier completely, does it not? (Just as would a regular Detroit locker, where with a Lockright, you would re-use the carrier.) You do know that you have to reset the backlash between the R&P when you change the carrier, right? For all but the greatest howler monkey's (aka orangutans) (ref: http://www.bc4x4.com/features/1999/sthm/sthm.cfm), that means work done by a shop.

--Rob

5. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Look into what you are getting into, but to answer your question...... You dont need no stinking spreader....Putting the rubber end of a hammer up under the carrier and pushing down real hard on the head will bring it out. Just dont loosen the carrier bearing cap bolts all the way till you get it loose. That thing is heavy to catch on the fly....[​IMG]

Steve Fox for President, 2004.
    Jimi Hendrix was re-incarnated in 1990 as my....JIMI