Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

10 bolt

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by danny7139, Dec 17, 2006.

1. danny7139

danny7139 1/2 ton status

Don't know much about diffs so bare with me, I recentally had the tranny lose the ghost. It lost 1st, had low 1st and reverse only. But a few times when I went to back it in the drive way to get it to the tear down it made a loud bump like it was locking up in the rear. Its a plain gov-locker 10 bolt. So I jacked up the rear today and went to turn the tire but it didn't spin the other sides tire, isn't it supposed to? It spinned the u joint part but thats it. I have no clue on anything about diffs or trannies, just engines. thank you :bow::bow::bow:

2. danny7139

danny7139 1/2 ton status

3. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

No a gov lock is an open diff until it senses wheel slip then it locks, if you jack it up and spin a tire the other will spin in the opposite direction, like an open diff. Look in the RPO codes for G80, thats a gov lock.

4. danny7139

danny7139 1/2 ton status

So your saying the diff must be messed up? Because the other side doesn't spin at all. Yea I have a gov bomb G80 code. So should I crack open the housing and look around?

5. loafer

loafer 1/2 ton status

Hold the pinion yoke (u-joint part) from spinning and then it should spin the other tire in the opposite direction.

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Some will, some won't. I've seen both, but if you've got brake drag (for instance) it may not.

With both in the air you can spin one tire quickly, it should be enough to lock the other one, and you'll feel/hear it.

7. K5MONSTERCHEV

No, the clutches can be worn out, and is the yoke/driveshaft moving? You have a gov lock, take it easy on it, sounds like its on its way out the cover!

8. danny7139

danny7139 1/2 ton status

Nah I think the 10 bolt is fine. I just got the chance to turn the yoke and the tires both turn fine. I have the drive shaft off and I thought you didn't need it on to turn the tires together. But I still have a problem with the tranny and or transfer case. A friend of mine said that it sounds more like the transfer case forks not working properly. Because before I pulled everything I had reverse and low 1st but no high first. I dropped the tranny pan and I had some fragments and a thin strip about 1/2 inch. I don't know.

9. iwaxmyjimmy

iwaxmyjimmy College web wheeler Premium Member

ok i had a thought about this..... i havent pulled my diff cover yet but when i put mine in 2wd all u here is the rear end grinding. shock load from turning and stomping it one drunk night after dropping off an asian chick caused it. newho today i was goin back form lunch break and i thought could it be the gov lock in the back??? but then i was thinkin if it was the spider gears my axles would prolly walk out. am i on the right track?? ive already got a 4.88s and ring and pinion install kits here at the house. i deff need to pull the cover soon but i aint got time w/ work and all.

10. K5MONSTERCHEV

If your gonna re ratio it just put in an Eaton Posi whiel your at it, trust me, that what we put in all 10 bolts at work.

11. iwaxmyjimmy

ill keep that in mind but it sounds like the ring and pinion right? i really alt to pull the cover but i really aint got time. also ive already go the 4.88 thick gears, and i was lookin onr randys ring and pinion and they have 2.73 and up carriers so does that mean i need a regular gear instead of the thick ones?

12. K5MONSTERCHEV

2.73 and up is what you need since you have a thick gearset.

13. iwaxmyjimmy

oh well since that covers that i should be lookin at some diffs. in a lil bit might just go w/ a detroit. maybe some choromoly shafts. i dunno im thinking about beefing up a rear 10bolt just to run for a lil while till i get 1 tons.

14. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I'd say half the time, there is NO way to truly know a gov-lock is not working correctly except to pull the diff cover and inspect the mechanism. Chipped/missing mechanism teeth, stuck flyweights, etc., all cause problems you can't tell with the rear end off the ground just turning the wheels.

Your side and pinion (carrier) gears and ring/pinion can all be good, but that doesn't mean the gov-lock isn't messed up.

15. iwaxmyjimmy

well i first noticed it one night when i was leaving the ATM and it did it when i turned left and gave it a lil gas. and i was like the hell was that ya know. im sure i gave it a work out when my fact. auto hubs blew and i almost got stuck and had to rock it out of a some really sloppy mud and what helpped me get out was my pass. rear caught grip on a curb(behind my neighborhood). thats some serious shock load right there goin sloppy clayish mud to cement while the other is still in the sloppy stuff. and i didnt start to give me hell till one night on the way back from dropping off the asian chick and i gassed it goin around a corner and noticed it sounded like my pinion gear lost a tooth. so i went behind my neighbor hood again put it in 4 wheel and locked the hubs and and dropped it off in the slick stuff again and it as soon as i did that started hearing noise from the rear and only my front tires were pullin. so what does that sound like to u?