Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

10 bolt

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bennevis, Jun 9, 2000.

1. bennevis

bennevis Registered Member

Has anyone used or know of the full float kit for 10bolt axles by Warn? Are they for front and rear and would it be cheaper to upgrade to a larger axle, say dana 60 and 12bolt. No problems with what I have now, just want something a little stronger. Also, I have an 82 with a mildly built 350, 700r4, 3.73gears and 32" tires. I am in Colorado and lose alot of power in OD going up hills, shoule I go to 4.11 or 4.56? Thanks for any and all help.
    Bennevis

2. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

Gears sound fine for what tires you have, I run 4.56 with 35" tires. As for the axles, you can get a 12 bolt with the same ratio and its probably a bolt it. The 14 bolt semi floater can be had and if you get the right years your wheels will bolt up(meaning 6 lug, some early versions were 8) you will have to change the spring pads I beleive and then the yoke on it. Ditto with the full floater 14 bolt and you will have to go to 8 lug wheels in the rear at least. Shock mounts may change to.

The full floater kit is only for the rear, all front axles are already full floaters. It is supposed to be a good improvment. They run around 700 bucks, so it aint cheap. Go to Off-Road Desings sight and email Stephen Watson, he has a full float 12 bolt in his K5 and has done a 10 bolt one for somebody else as well. I have not heard of any problems with the kits. If you do the full floater, you can never go back to stock without getting another housing, you have to cut off the ends of the axle tubes flush with the mounting flanges to use the kit.

Depdog

<font color=blue>"Lead, Follow, or BECOME the Trail"</font color=blue>

3. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Fourwheeler magazine also did a review on this kit a few months ago for their Project Blazer series. Personally, I think it would be a worthwhile upgrade for either a 10-bolt or 12-bolt, but with the price it just depends on what you have or what you need.
    I'm just waiting for the herd of "get a full floating 14-bolt" comments to come in..........

4. bennevis

bennevis Registered Member

Do you have a url for the off-road designs and what gears were you saying were ok, the 3.73 or the 4.56?

5. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

And yet another soul goes down the path of wasting money on a 10 bolt...somewhere in time he will come to his senses...

ken

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author