Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

10 bolt!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Tshane, Dec 2, 2002.

1. Tshane

Tshane 1/2 ton status

I have an 86 short bed chevy 1/2 ton. It has an 10 bolt in the rear right now. i plan to put 33's on it and want to know it it will hold up with 4.10 gears and a locker??

2. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Terrain and throttle dependant. That and luck. I've been lucky so far.

John

3. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

That should hold up for a while. I currently have a 10 bolt with 3.42's spinning 33" tires. No problems as of yet. The only thing about your setup that could be bad would be the locker. On corners and off-road, it's going to be putting a lot of stress on your axleshafts...and at some point in the future, you'll shear the splined part of the axle right off. Just keep your right foot fairly light, and you should be o.k.

Oh...you should fill out your profile. This is done by going to "my home" and going down to the edit option. Select the one titled "preferences, profile, etc." and fill out the profile. This helps us because we'll have info about who you are, where you're located, and what you drive (that way you don't have to state it each time) /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

Ten Bolt Locked Rear on the trail...
    [​IMG]

5. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

What'd I tell ya...axle will shear off right at the splines. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

6. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

I like it /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Most importantly, what will you be doing with the truck? I had a 10 bolt in the rear of my 82' last a long while with 35's and hard wheelin.

If you are easy on the throttle you will be fine!

8. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

i blew mine up, but, the torque spikes of the sm465, and the way i drove it didnt helpt it, and the fact that the spyders and the bearing holder on the right side of the case were cracked off, it was in bad shape, but i got a 12 bolt for free and put it under there /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

9. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> If you already have 4.10s and a locker in it, then go for it. If you are planning on buying the gears and locker and having them installed, save your money and get a 14 bolt and a matching front from a 3/4 ton. Do the math - you can get gears for about $200, locker for about $450, install kit for $150, and installation labor for about $200. That comes out to $1000. You can get a complete set of 3/4 ton axles that are stronger and already have 4.10s in them for half that, throw a Detroit in the rear yourself for $300 and still have the other $200 left over to buy new rims to fit the 8 lug. Plus you'll have a much stronger axle in the rear.

10. Haulgas

Haulgas 1/2 ton status

I've never had a problem with mine. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

11. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

Here's how we got the rig with the broken axle shaft back to camp! Takes some teamwork but it worked...

[​IMG]

12. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

LOL look at the HEEP in the back ground and the Blazer(I think) behind it

BTW sorry if the owner of the heep is on this site

13. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

You can tell that axle is a 28 spline...if you have a 30 spline, it will help you a lot...if not, go to a junkyard and find a 10 bolt with 30 spline axles...pull the carrier and axles...they'll bolt directly into your 10 bolt. Carrier and axles cost about $120 at my local junkyard...

14. a2b

a2b Registered Member

okay, i see one good reason to avoid a 10 bolt /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

15. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

28 to 30 spline in a 10 bolt is really a wash. The gain in strength is not going to be enough to save you. People can make 10 bolts last, but not forever. I wasted my rear 10 with 31" tires and a light foot. Some people have the luck, some don't.

I've still got a 30 sline 10 front sitting in the garage. I swapped it for a 28 spline cause the axleshaft are easier to find in the salvage and I really wasn't going to gain a whole lot by keeping. That and I got a smokin deal on the 28 spline /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

16. thebigdaddyof2

thebigdaddyof2 1/2 ton status

Actually, the 10 bolt 28 spline is superior to the 30 spline. When GM went to 30 sp, all they did was bore out the holes in the carrier for the axle shafts. This removed a precious amount of metal from an already failure prone carrier. What I've seen is the section of carrier (30 sp) where the bearing presses onto actually shears off- allowing the ring gear to go out of alignment and destroy itself and the pinion gear. I'd rather replace an axle shaft than a ring, pinion and carrier....of course, this is why I run a Van 14BFF.

17. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

I have both 28 and 30 spline carriers here along with a 28 and 30 spline axle. Thickness is the same until you get to the splines...the 28 spline is noticeably smaller. The 28 spline actually fits in the 30 spline carrier...with that it appears that the holes are the same size, the only difference is the spider gears...either way, 10 bolts can last and they can't...how much money do you want to dump into an 8 lug swap, or do you want to just run the 10 bolt to take a chance? I know the answer to that, I have a 14 bolt sitting in my garage...