Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

10 bolts

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by PsychoticDeadGuy, May 29, 2005.

1. PsychoticDeadGuy

PsychoticDeadGuy 1/2 ton status

Anyone read the newest Four Wheeler magazine? with the article about the yukon super joints for the 10 bolt and D44? has anyone used these with massive tires? anyone build up some 10 bolts to run tires bigger than 38"?

2. thor

thor 1/2 ton status

(flame suit on) I am using a set, along with the 4340 yukon axles in a locked 44 with 42s. I havent broken an axle or joint yet, I broke stock axles when I was open. I wouldn't recomend that big of tires though as I have gone through a set of ball joints this summer. your results may very.

3. PsychoticDeadGuy

42" on a D44? wow....thats amazing... but is that just on the front axle? i couldnt find yukon axles for the rear...

4. thor

thor 1/2 ton status

No, 3/4 ton with a 14 bolt rear.

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

38's is pushing a 10 bolt front hard even with chromo's and HD ujoints. In certain terrains they can take bigger tires but is depends on terrain and drving style.

A 10 bolt rear even with chromo's is going to be pushed very hard by 37's. The front axle can take more tire because it usually sees less of the trucks weight. The rear axle tends to take more abuse and even a beefed 10 bolt rear isn't going to take alot of heavy punishment for a long time.

The fronts take less weight and abuse and can handle bigger tires for longer times. Stock axleshafts can usually handle 35-37" tires for awhile depending on driving style and terrain. Chromo's in a 10 bolt make 38's more possible and maybe larger in certain enviroments. Chromo's just help insure less breakage and the ability to drive a little more aggresively.

The problem with upgrading a 10 bolt to chromo's is that the area of breakage just moves to somewhere else like the ring & pinion gears, lockers, locking hubs, or driveshaft.

If you don't already have alot of money invested in your 1/2 ton gear it is cheaper to upgrade to stronger gear that will take more abuse from big tires.

Harley

6. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I think they're fairly new so I doubt anyone on here has had a chance to thoroughly wheel them yet. That being said, I blew up the 10 bolt (rear) on my street truck with 33's yesterday.

7. thor

thor 1/2 ton status

Mikey, Had mine a year, so they aren't that new....... I bought 2 sets cause I got em cheap but haven't had to swap them yet.

8. Hossbaby50

Have you checked out Bobby Long's cryo'ed Spicer 760x ujoint? They come with a 1 year warranty against breakage. Over on Pirate there is a thread that shows pics of a Warn Chromo D44 axleshaft that snapped before the Bobby Long ujoint did.

They aren't terribly expensive either. $80 each or something like that.

Harley

9. PsychoticDeadGuy

ah, but does that answer the question on how to build a Corp. 10 bolt front and rear to handle 38"+ tires while wheeling hard. I think a company should come out with 35 splined titanium axles!

10. Hossbaby50

I already answered that in a prior post. What it boils down to is that now matter how strong the axleshafts and ujonts are the 10 bolt front is still only as strong as its ring & pinion and locker.

If you put in the beefy axleshafts you just make the possibility of snapping the locker or R&P alot higher as they are the next weakest link.

Harley