Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

10 Bolts?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by K5 Siverado, Apr 17, 2007.

1. K5 Siverado

K5 Siverado Registered Member

Hey guys I am wondering what is the problems with the 10 bolts I always hear of everyone swapiing it out for 12 bolts and danas I dont really know what is going on? I dont know much about chevrolet rear ends. Could some one give me some insight into this and other options? and are you guys puttine 3/4 ton front and rear ends under these from differnt years, do other rear ends enter change alot, I was told that alot of chevrolet trucks will enter change unlike some of the fords i have had.:confused:

2. SUPERSUB87

SUPERSUB87 1/2 ton status

ok. the reason why you would put bigger axles from a 3/4 ton or 1 ton is because they are stronger and have a bigger ring gear and stronger axle shafts. try doing a search on the top. type in "ten bolts" and i am sure you will get a load of info, unless your not a paying customer. bottom line. 10 bolts can work but are weaker than say a 14 bolt chey or dana 60 axle. It depends on what you do with the rig. wheel it or show it off. if you actually do wheel then the 10 bolt is inferior. and for the whole interchanging thing. most axles from 72-88 will bolt right up to every model in that era (including the 88-91 suburbans and k5's.

3. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Wow....this has been covered at least a billion times on here.

There is a lot to your question. For one....most people dont swap 10 bolts out for 12 bolts because there really isnt a gain in strength. Most people on here prefer to swap their rear 10 bolts for 14 bolt full floating rear ends. The 14ff (as it is refered to) is very very strong and usually considered "unbreakable." The problem with the 10 bolt rear end is that it is light duty....its small, and small equals weak. Not to mention that its semi-floating so if/when it does break an axleshaft....the tire falls off. The 14ff is not only a good option because of its brute strength...but they are also a dime a dozen. They are very cheap and very common.

You mentiond swapping to a dana axle. There are many many different dana axles so it all depends. The D44 axle is about the same strength as the GM 10 bolt. 10 bolt and D44 front axles (unlike the rear) are full floating. Therefore...more people run them up front than in the back. The upgrade most people running big tires like to do is the D60. Its much larger and stronger than either the D44 or 10 bolt. But...with the D60, D44, and 10 bolt...you have a full floaing front axle...meaning (unlike the rear) if you break an axle shaft...you only lose power to that wheel and you dont lose the wheel itself.

About the interchangeability of chevy axles....they are very interchangeable. All the half ton trucks used the same width spring mounting surface (42.5") and shock mounts from the early 1970's into the 1990's. The 3/4 tons with heavier axles are the same also. The 1-tons are a little different. 14ff axles are found under 1-tons....and if you want to put one in a K5 all you have to do is cut off the spring perches and move them each out 1"...you also have to re-locate the shock mounts. This is another reason why so many people run these rear ends under K5's...because it requires very little work to make them fit. The 1-ton front axles (the infamous D60) bolt right in.

I briefly went into this for you....there is much much more about this. Do some searching around on this site and you will find out a ton of information. I just dont feel like typing it all out for you.
    -Harrison

4. broncoman6524

broncoman6524 1/2 ton status

basically what isnt liked about the rears is that they have C-clips...as well as the 12bolt too. so their tire size is AROUND a 35...but yuo can run bigger depeding on your driving style form of wheelin etc. the front however can be ran somewheres around 38s...then the shafts break bc of their small size...

i PERSONaly feel that until it breaks just do with what ya got dont be retarted wheel smart and know that yeah it COULD break.

5. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Forgot to mention that axle choice all depends on what you do with the truck. 10 bolts are good up to about 35" tires. Im running 37" tires with a locker on my front 10 bolts without a whole ton of breakage....but I do carry spare parts and its ff. If you wheel the truck hard in rocks and whatnot...you can break a 10 bolt with even 33's. If you wheel hard but know how to manage the throttle lightly...you can pull off bigger tires. If you only run mud then you can even go bigger and expect it to work for a while. What do you plan on doing with the truck?
    -Harrison

6. K5 Siverado

I wanted to put maybe 35s to 37 max with a 4 inch lift but would have to go taller for the 37s I am told. I probllay wont do too hard of wheel maing just slow and alot of climbing dont like to bounce to much I like just to crawl over things cause I dont want to break anything and dont want to put any dents in it lol. but it doesnt matter needs little body work and paint. it would serve more as a daily driver along has a weekend worrior. I got 4 11 in the rear along with 3 73 in the front But and thing for suspions just a 4 inch lift cause I was told that i would not have to get new drive lines and I could tuck 35s under it. I got 32s right now on stock so with 4 inch of lift I thought I got 3 inch of tire would put it it up 7 inches and give it a great stance. I just wnat a really capable all around rig. something I can half way afford gas and take the kids fishing and camping then go jump on a trail. I just dont want to hammer it so it sounds like the 10 would be fine for me unlees I just wanted beefer axles/

7. sope

sope 1/2 ton status

With out lockers the 10 bolts should be OK

8. lak2004

lak2004 1/2 ton status

Just a friendly suggestion to a noob: try to make your sentences complete with periods. It makes it easier to read for us all. Everyone will tell you too to pay for a membership which is a great idea because it opens up the search feature. By the way, WELCOME to CK5!

9. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

It also makes a big difference whether you have stick or auto. 10Bs will handle more tire/abuse with an auto than with stick.

10. gibby2268

gibby2268 1/2 ton status

If you spend much time at all in 4wd, that's gonna be a problem....

11. George_Pimpdaddy

George_Pimpdaddy 1/2 ton status

yea no 4x4 for you till you fix those gears!

12. K5 Siverado

Sorry guys about my writing. My mind gets going faster then I can type or spell for that matter. My rear end was rebuilt by this guy in town. I guess the ( Gov Bomb ) went off cause it let out a bang. Anyways he said 4 11s came out of it and it should match the front but I know differnt. He said that some one must of changed the front but I know nobody did. He didnt put nothing but the gears in so now it is a peg leg. I want to join for membership but I am trying to get a feel for this site and wether or not it will be worth it. I like to explore things even if I dont do them to my truck. I like to get to know more details on it. Ans so far the reponses are good and seems like a reall knowable bunch of people. So maybe payday I will join. Thanks guys for all the info. Yeah by the way it sucks not to beable to use 4x4.

13. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

????????? $35? Thats less than 2 hours on the highway!:crazy:
    chit, I could drop $150 at a gas station, if the pumps didn't stop on $75.

14. lak2004

lak2004 1/2 ton status

OUCH. What are the prices in Cali right now? I just put in 28 gals and it cost $79. Oh well I love my blazer so its worth it!

15. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

~$3.50 for 91